RSS feed

Status
Not open for further replies.

HHOTEK

We make things GREEN
Feb 16, 2009
bostic nc
www.hhotek.com
trying to get a rss feed setup for my blog but most of the online info is somewhat difficult to follow...im using wordpress and my blog url is HHOTEK and when i click the rss feed in the top right it brings up a menu to subscribe. From what i have read it seems that my xml must be readable by "news aggregators" im assuming it is since its using wordpress?

Can anyone shed some light on this maybe simplify it maybe or link to a resource that explains it well?

is feeddemon something i use in conjuction with wordpress or rather than wordpress?

trying to get a rss feed setup for my blog but most of the online info is somewhat difficult to follow...im using wordpress and my blog url is HHOTEK and when i click the rss feed in the top right it brings up a menu to subscribe. From what i have read it seems that my xml must be readable by "news aggregators" im assuming it is since its using wordpress?

Can anyone shed some light on this maybe simplify it maybe or link to a resource that explains it well?

is feeddemon something i use in conjuction with wordpress or rather than wordpress?

FeedDemon is a stand alone desktop feed reader and your feed works fine in it.

so do i have to submit to feeddemon or is it something the enduser uses to manage their subscriptions

the enduser manages their own subscriptions using whatever client software they want. that subscribe page you are seeing is based on your browser at the moment, if you want a better one I recommend feedburner.

I think the confusion he's having is how the rss feed is displayed in his browser. When you click on it you won't see the actual rss code firefox and IE clean it up to give a nice subscribe using: type display. If you click View >> Page Source you'll see the actual rss code.

I clicked on the tiny feed icon on the upper right corner and the rss shows up fine.

I prefer to use feedburner though so I can embed adsense for feeds, don't know if it works using other.

You need to get a feedreader for yourself and use it so you can at least be familiar with the concept. Be forewarned, though, a feedreader can be an enormous timesink.

If you do not understand the concept of RSS, it provides an 'efficient' way to stay abreast of web site updates without having to physically visit the site to check. A users reader queries the subscribed sites and gathers updates, which a user can then decide to visit or not.

Most users these days will see the RSS icon in their browser's address bar. Clicking will either automatically add the feed to their default reader or offer the choice of which feed type to use.

Feedreader is good. Mail clients usually offer RSS features.

Get something, load it up and be familiar with what your users will experience. Same goes for Twitter, Digg, Sphinn, or anything else you would like your users to do for you. Use it yourself so you can understand what goes on.

Wordpress and your theme should have the underpinnings hammered out. Go to feedburner and sign up.

Status
Not open for further replies.