Resources for Server Setup

Truffles

Apr 20, 2009
I'm setting up a server for PPV, probably either a cloud solution or a VPS initially.

I know plenty about tech stuff in general, but somehow I've managed to entirely miss learning the hardware side of things and how to properly setup and administrate a server.

Can anybody point me to any good resources to begin learning about that? Preferably one with an absence of dicks.

Truffles, maybe I missed it, but what are your basic requirements? Are you just running a single web site, multiple sites, some other type of service? That may change your hardware requirements.

I'll assume multiple sites.

I recommend buying big name equipment (with support). You don't need a big budget to do this. You can buy refurbished Dell equipment, with warranties, for pennies on the dollar these days. Here is a single cpu, quad core, with 4GB of Ram. I picked the Dell R710 because it's a great platform, one of the newer server lines, runs cools, doesn't require tons of power, and is 2U instead of 1U so it's easier to upgrade and manage. This site has loads of great hardware and checkout their hot sheet.

If your looking for co-lo surf over to webhostingtalk.com and click on their Co Lo and Data Centers. Maybe put something local to you so if something happens you have physical access to the server. I also find co-lo's a great place to meet other like minded people that may be able to help you with future equipment buys.

You can PM me any specific questions or post them here. Peace...