Reliable DNS?

goddfadda

Pasta Eatin Mofo
Dec 1, 2007
Per advice of a few people here, I switched to Namecheap from 1and1 for my registrar. I usually just use the registrar for DNS too. DNS was always an afterthought for me. It kind of just works. Well I was wrong here.

Although Namecheap's DNS interface is great, their DNS is down constantly (including right now). They blame it on DDoS, but whatever the reason, its costing me a lot of money.

What are you guys using for DNS? Anyone just hosting their own? Using named on linux is about the equivalent take brass knuckles to the balls.

DNS Made Easy - Enterprise Global IP Anycast DNS Services seems good from my short usage of it, and they claim 100% uptime history. Using registrar DNS is the cheap way out...

I now use DNS Made Easy w/ their failover DNS system (detects if HTTP is down on my main server, and switches A records immediately to my backup system if the primary fails), and a live backup configuration that syncs with the primary every few minutes. Not sure how easy a system like 202 would translate to the setup I have (custom system), but it was as easy as my developer/admin/biz partner making the auto-incremented keys on one system even, and the other odd, so that when syncing either way, nothing ever gets overwritten. I'm now wondering how I lived with only manual backups and manual failovers (that took time restoring backups) prior to now.

DNS Made Easy, as johu mentioned, is good - they have monitoring/failover DNS support, but no API. I've also heard good things about Nettica.com - they have an API, but monitoring/failover costs a bit more than DNS Made Easy. Check pricing at both places - both are well priced, but it really depends on the number of domains & features that you need.

DynDNS is great and has a very long standing record and uptime (no downtime since 2001). On top of that, when I swtiched one of my sites from Enom DNS, the Pingdom stats (HTTP request time) has been reduced by the factor of 3. Less than 100ms per request.

i've used easydns for the past decode or so and no complaints. theres also ultradns which is good, but far too expensive. i recommend using 2 seperate companies, with one as backup

DynDNS is great and has a very long standing record and uptime (no downtime since 2001). On top of that, when I swtiched one of my sites from Enom DNS, the Pingdom stats (HTTP request time) has been reduced by the factor of 3. Less than 100ms per request.
Pingdom's request times are crazy wrong. I don't know what they do to their systems, but the response times (both ping and http) are completely off from any other monitoring source and reality. Random periods of 800-4000ms pings (often lasting for hours) when no other monitoring services or pings/traces across any of my host's uplinks show problems. I've been working with servers for a good 8 years or so, so I know what I'm doing - Pingdom is just wrong. They probably have overloaded systems or something.

That being said, Pingdom's monitoring (excluding pings) seems to be spot-on - so just use another service to measure response times.

Pingdom's request times are crazy wrong. I don't know what they do to their systems, but the response times (both ping and http) are completely off from any other monitoring source and reality. Random periods of 800-4000ms pings (often lasting for hours) when no other monitoring services or pings/traces across any of my host's uplinks show problems. I've been working with servers for a good 8 years or so, so I know what I'm doing - Pingdom is just wrong. They probably have overloaded systems or something.

That being said, Pingdom's monitoring (excluding pings) seems to be spot-on - so just use another service to measure response times.

Yes, but I was looking at changes, which are relative.

pingdom.png