Redirect users without transferring penalty

Vcize

3 what?!?
Aug 25, 2010
I've got a site that's been penalized, but not SEO'd heavily enough that it's worth trying to dig out rather than just starting over on a new domain.

The only problem is that there is already some type-in traffic and non-digital advertising directing users to the original domain.

Is there a way to redirect those users that type in the old domain to the new one without passing along the penalty and letting google know that they're associated?

I suppose a last resort would be a "we have moved!" message but that's rather unprofessional and just automatically redirecting them would be ideal.

Maybe try a 302 redirect instead of 301 and see what happens (never tested this myself, just a thought that crossed my mind). read more

Best option would have a meta redirect on the page set for a short period of time 3-10 seconds and redirect them to the new page. I dont think meta redirects will pass on all of your penalty/slap juice to your new site but maybe SOME. Put in your <head>

<html>
<head>
<META http-equiv="refresh" content="4;URL=http://www.YourNewSite.com">
</head>
Please wait while redirect you to our new website! Blah Blah Blah.
</html>

All that being said, I would just junk it though and start a new one.

You could just have a simple "We've Moved... Click Here to Visit our new site"

That way it's just a link, not a redirect.

You could just have a simple "We've Moved... Click Here to Visit our new site"

That way it's just a link, not a redirect.

Along those same lines... if it is only type in traffic you are worried about, disallow the entire site in robots.txt, including something that looks like a shopping cart.

Make the link appear to be a cart button to search engines. Use the cart link to go to the new site.

Throw some javascript on top of it if you want. Although, I always believed google was full of shit when they claimed to not read javascript, it's another layer. As you've described your situation, more layers of bullshit won't hurt, provided you are dealing with surfer experience properly.