Reddit For SEO, or other strategies?

bitfiend

Nov 26, 2013
Anyone try posting links on Reddit for SEO?

In one instance my post did quite well initially, getting about a dozen real upvotes on one of the default subs, and I was able to get on page 3 of google for a semi-competitive keyword from it. But the thread was unfortunately deleted after a couple hours, and in the past 2 weeks the rankings fell from page 3 to page 5.

In a second experiment, I tried posting on an active but non-default sub, which have much less stringent rule than default ones, and my post got a decent number of up-votes Here is the weird thing: this keyword is not competitive at all, but the reddit.com comments thread was only indexed on page 5 of google and my site a few spots below it - much lower than my expectations given the domain authority of reddit.com, the lack of competitiveness for the kw, and the popularity of the sub I submitted to.

Other experiments allowed me to index pages quickly , but these pages, nor the reddit threads, rank well. For example, posting on r/aww/ a link to a cloaked page. Other experiments include later editing text posts to include a hyperlink to your site. Depending on the sub, you need about >4 karma on posts and submissions for the no-follow to go away, but the rankings are poor/non existent for the reedit thread or my website.

So anyone else try posting on reddit for SEO, traffic, or other strategies involving reddit?

We've used reddit for infographic and content promotion. IF you content is tops you can get some nice links via link roundups. Traffic from reddit generally sucks IMO and I remember reading somewhere the average income for a redditor was maybe 30k/yr and everything we're doing now is way upmarket.

What should be targeted subreddit traffic tends to have an insanely high bounce rate, although if you get enough syndication via being at the top of a relevant subreddit, google may see your page as popular and give it a temporary bump. Seen this with design content quite a bit.

I have been able to get to the first page of a few defaults and eventually your post will fall off the first page and start loosing all of the juice. A day or so after they start to fall in G.

I have had other bloggers pick stuff up on Reddit though and score some solid links from them which is nice.

You could also always create your own subreddit and put links in the sidebar and pump that shit up naturally or with tiered links.

Personally I am there for the traffic/syndication as part of a greater SEO strategy.

I will post to get some traffic from there, its shit traffic (poor liberal faggots) but sometimes you can get some shares on social media and what not if the content is good.

There was a reddit discussion thread on WF from earlier this year that might be worth checking out:

http://www.wickedfire.com/shooting-the-shit/182852-reddit-manipulation.html

8FK62EVE9P.jpg

Some good links can be got if you get some popular people to comment on your post. That way your link also appears on their profile page.

yeah but the traffic is still shit.

I mean what do reddit people buy? Do they have any money? No.

You are better off appearing on top of news.ycombinator.com - it has actual buyers and links that were on top have superb value for SEO.

Aren't most HN links nofollow?

Nofollow, dofollow - both are relevant no matter what Google say. I cant say this matters much when it comes to authority sites (obviously dofollow would be better, but still it is superb). Wikipedia is nofollow also, and people see crazy results from links there.
Also, imo there is no real long term magic link. You should use those links as a foundation of your SEO. Also once you hit top page on ycombinator your link will get much more exposure over the web.

Nofollow, dofollow - both are relevant no matter what Google say. Cant say it matters when it comes to authority sites. Wikipedia is nofollow also, and people see crazy results from links there.
Also, imo there is no real long term magic link. You should use those links as a foundation of your SEO.

I've always assumed nofollows do carry weight from what I've seen, but I'm more curious as to their criteria for which links get dofollowed? Over a certain number of upvotes?

Seems like links that get 10-20 are turned to dofollows. Possibly there is human interaction involved. I checked my submissions and all that have below 10 upvotes are no follow. All that are above it are dofollow.

The traffic is shit if you are selling anything, but they do click on native ads.. Not to mention other perks that can come along with getting to the front page (cough backlinks cough)..

I've received traffic from Reddit from other people posting my links in there, but haven't attempted to 'game' or purposely use it for traffic or SEO yet...

However, it makes sense that a niche subreddit that's similar to the subject matter of your website would be much better than even a much larger generic group like "TIL" etc.

It's along the lines of when I use to buy magazines about computer games or motorcycles - I actually enjoyed reading the ads in there and some even lead to purchases. Whereas I rarely if ever read the generic ads in a newspaper or news magazine.

Similarly, getting lots of traffic from a Beanie Babies Reddit group to your Beanie Babies niche website should at least translate into a lot of newsletter sign ups, getting them into your sales funnel, as well as clicks on relevant ads and perhaps a few B.B. purchases too.

My 2 cents.

If anyone is interested is doing an upvote/comment exchange shoot me a PM. I have several aged accounts (5+ years old) all used from different IPs. I'm currently building up my comment karma for each account.

Aren't most HN links nofollow?

HN is a tough nut to crack..like Digg, and unlike the much easier to game Reddit, not all up-votes are created equal. Only up-votes from certain members can move a submission to the default tab, upon which the no-follow goes away and you get shitloads of traffic.