Reccomend a Video Camera

Status
Not open for further replies.

ummdav1d

Dec 15, 2007
Hey, I'm looking to get a video camera for a reasonable price. I don't really know exactly what price range I'm looking at because I don't know much about video cameras at all. I basically want something that is high quality, but it doesn't need to be top of the line or anything. It's main use is going to be for creating comedy videos.

If anyone has any suggestions on where to look or different models to take a look at, I'd appreciate it. I don't really know where to start.

Hey, I'm looking to get a video camera for a reasonable price. I don't really know exactly what price range I'm looking at because I don't know much about video cameras at all. I basically want something that is high quality, but it doesn't need to be top of the line or anything. It's main use is going to be for creating comedy videos.

If anyone has any suggestions on where to look or different models to take a look at, I'd appreciate it. I don't really know where to start.

Google and a few words. :) I have had a few, really cannot recommend anything, never had good luck.

Seems a lot of people are using the "flip" camcorder these days

The Flip has a quality picture and it's well worth the price of $150 or so.

If you want to mount it on a tripod, you'll need the "Ultra" model.

It's hugely convenient to copy the files to your computer as it has a USB that pops out, rather than a bunch of cords.

One drawback is that the mic isn't so strong. If you want good audio, your subject should be loud or close (a few feet away).

I'm interested in this to. I don't know diddly shit about digital camcorders, but I want to start shooting viral videos.

Also whats good video editing software? I hate windows movie maker and I've used Adobe after affects a long time ago with some success.

I used to make dvds of properties for keller williams and I have used many cameras, but it doesn't really matter. just go into best buy and see what you like and then go online to find the cheapest one. as for editing I recommend avid xpress, *check the usual places as the dv version discontinued

I have a Sony Handy Cam DCR-HC26 that uses MiniDV's. It's a good camera and hooks to the computer through firewire.
Most of the time I use either Nero 7 which is free or pinnacle to edit everything.
I have not used the camera in a while now so if anyone is looking to buy a real camcorder let me know I would be interested in selling it.

I recommend the Sony HDR series

Guys.. I can highly recommend the one I bought myself a few months back - the Sony HDR-SR7.
I have owned and used 4 other cameras over the years (and I'm usually a little picky about what I buy), but this one far surpasses them all.

First of all, it records in high-definition (true HD) and the images look crisp, detailed, and vivid on my 61" HDTV. The image quality is astounding, colors look alive and accurate. It uses Carl Zeiss optics and has a nice flipout touch-screen that really works better than you'd think. It also handles transitions from bright to darker backlight real well (at least for a camera in this price range). Lower-end cameras will typically have problems doing these types of light adjustments too quickly.

Secondly, it records to a built-in 60 Gigabyte harddrive, which is really convenient. I still have lots of room on mine. :) And...no more fumbling around with slow tapes that you have to rewind, etc. Just instant recording to a new file that you instantly review or delete on the fly.

It also has an impressive battery life. I film a lot with my kids and family and it feels like I rarerely have to charge it. My older cams sucked out the battery in no time.

You can pick up a new on on eBay for around $900. If that's out of your price range, consider Sony's lower spec models too. I believe there's a 30 GB model as well as one that records to a memory card instead of a harddrive.

I really love my HDR-SR7. If you read around about it on the 'net, you might find some people complaining about its recording file format. It uses Sony's AVCHD format for HD compression, which again uses x.v.Color encoding. I'm not gonna bore you with the geeky explanation of those terms, but what I will say is that I have had NO problems whatsoever with the file format.

The clips transfer just fine to my 3 year old desktop PC, and I can easily convert and edit clips using the included software (or Total Video Converter) and VirtualDub (or Windows Movie Maker) for editing. You can use a lot of other tools as well. Hint: If you read about people having trouble converting the files - it's because they didn't do their homework on what software to get.

If anyone's interested, I'll see if I can post up some clips I made with the camera.

I'm looking to get the Canon hv20 or hv30. You can search vimeo for sample footage of different cameras. I suggest HD, depending on what the purpose for the camera will be. The HD stuff looks great. They also take pretty good stills for a camcorder.

Besides reading the customer reviews at Amazon, I've always found camcorderinfo.com to be a great resource for the latest on camcorder gear (although the intermission ads are annoying as hell)

I recently bought the Sony - MiniDV Handycam Camcorder - Silver one for a gift from best buy it's only 250 bucks

HERE

Status
Not open for further replies.