Quick Amex Question!

Status
Not open for further replies.

affiliatelife

Feb 13, 2008
Amex says on their site that your business has to be running for over a year before you can get an amex card. Anyone have any luck getting a business card straight away?

P.S. I am in UK.

I had the same issue with Amex UK; was a personal customer for years putting much of my PPC spend on my personal card. They still refused to give me a biz card until after a year, and say there is no leeway with this stuff.

Once you get a card, expect more battles over your credit limit...

I also got a plum card a couple weeks after I registered my llc, so good luck.

I tried begging, I tried curing, I tried writing letters. Nada. Nothing. Nicht. They simply weren't interested. And I spend *a lot* on credit cards for AdWords etc.

The closest thing I got to a concession was them agreeing to move some of my credit limit from my personal card to my business Amex card, though obviously that's far from ideal.

Just out of curiosity, why are you guys getting plum cards, which gives 2% back if you spend over $5K and has an annual fee? Isn't the Blue Cash For Business better because it gives you 2.5% cash back on all purchases with no fee?

Am I missing something?

that's 1.5%, not 2.5

also, it's only after you spend 6k spend, not that that will take many people very long

For business, I just have the standard Platinum Business Card (ie, not the charge card). Think they offer a few different cards, I forget the differences, except my one pays cashback.

A warning: Amex UK customer service has gone WAY downhill since I signed up with them a few years ago.

Why the heck can guys in the US get amex and in the UK we have to be in business for 1 year.

I am going to see if I can start of with the platinum.

Just out of curiosity, why are you guys getting plum cards, which gives 2% back if you spend over $5K and has an annual fee? Isn't the Blue Cash For Business better because it gives you 2.5% cash back on all purchases with no fee?

Am I missing something?

It is 2% back on everyone, no matter how much you spend. The blue cash card has a minimum threshold before you get the maximum cash back.

The plum card also allows you to float a balance for up to 2 months, non interest bearing.

OK, so you fill out your Amex application and when you get to the part that asks "Years in operation?" ... you say .... ?

It's that simple.

Am I missing something?

I just checked the terms on the blue cash card, and I think the plum card is a better deal if you spend over 15K a year on non-open savings participants, which I do.

Earn 1% on OPEN Savings Participants or 0.5% on all other purchases
when your year–to–date spend is $0–$7,500
Earn 5% on OPEN Savings Participants or 2.5% on all other purchases
when your year–to–date spend is $7,500.01–$15,000
Earn 2% on OPEN Savings Participants or 1% on all other purchases
when your year–to–date spend is more than $15,000

no experience in UK but they gave me a 50k limit card for each of my corps within 2 days of opening them.

I've had the Gold Business Charge Card since March. I received it about 6 months after I applied and got rejected. If you have a decent credit score (670 and higher), it shouldn't be that difficult.

They approved me for a Platinum card so I'll probably move to that next once I can bring myself to pay them the $400 annual fee. Might be worth it though, since they give you 3 free companion tickets when you buy 1 round trip.

I have my eyes set on the Centurion ultimately, which will probably come my way in 2 years or less.

Status
Not open for further replies.