Problems with AIM, can't access my screen name? WTF!

MyOwnDemon

Face Rocker
Jan 28, 2007
Iowa
www.sitestomp.com
Today I was on AIM and got disconnected. I went to try to sign back on and it wouldn't let me.

Both my other screen names work for some reason.

I tried to sign back onto my main name at least 25 times. It wasn't working, so I did the manual password reset.

Now I am getting this message:

"Suspicious activity has been detected on this account.
For your protection we are blocking access to this username."

Has anyone had this happen and how long does it take for them to release the account?

I know man, I hate it too - but a lot of people still use it and it's how a lot of clients get in touch with me.

I'm just asking if anyone has had the same error/problem and how they resolved it. I googled it and not getting much help. The help link on aim.com is even more of a joke with outdated info and no contact links.

Hey Beach, it's the actual AIM client (I can log in 2 of my screen names for other businesses and such just fine).

But for my main one here, it disconnected me while I was chatting with someone. Then it wouldn't let back on. It was saying "Connection error, please check your settings and try again later". But only for that particular screen name which is odd.

So I did all the common shit like reset router/reset computer/check firewall/etc. Everything was fine.

So I guess after too many log in attempts, it blocked me and now it's not even letting me change my password or access my account.

I'm guessing they are having system problems so wanted to check and see if anyone was experiencing the same thing.

I've used AIM 5.9 with the adblocker for years upon years.. straight up ghetto.

This is seriously pissing me off right now. Like just blocked out of nowhere.

Going to do shots and kill people in video games, brb.

(lol AIM help is now going to a 404 page)

Just in case anyone finds this thread via google in the next few years and since I see it ranking for the error message (lol?), I'll be a good boy and update with how I fixed it.

1. Change AIM password
2. Change AIM security question
3. Wait 24 hours
4. Log back in

Don't bother with anything else. In my search attempts, I saw so many fixes that didn't work ranging from 'download an earlier version of AIM' to 'uninstall and reinstall' to 'just use AIM express'. None of which worked.

Don't bother with their customer support. I sent a detailed message explaining what errors I was getting and how I could get back on my account. I literally got the response "Have you solved the problem yet?". Their answers section is filled with the same kind of nonsense. No wonder AOL is slashing jobs.

No idea why it was even blocked in the first place for "suspicious activity" but whatever. It's back now.

Good luck bros.