Premium .com vs .net

Status
Not open for further replies.

JPJedi

Feb 10, 2007
GA
www.gigsterapp.com
? - I just looked up a domain, for example abc.com, and godaddy came back with saying that was a premium domain for $500.00 to register. Yet the abc.net is available for 9.99....... It said it was a premium because it was common prhase

If the .com is a premium wouldn't the .net be as well?
Is it ok just to register the .net for now?

Thanks for all the advise and input..

I've never seen this before, but you could try checking other registrars if that domain is available. Namecheap.com may not be trying to hustle it for $500....

399.oo is the cheapest and also the WHOIS data gave me fabulous(dot)com and I went there and that is what they were selling it for....

Hmm.... so is a $399.00 .com better than a 9.99 .net?

What is the Premium Domain Names option? - Help Center—Knowledge Base and FAQ

"If you search for a domain that's already registered, we perform a basic search using the name you entered and provide a list of alternate domain names you may be interested in registering. On the Premium Domains tab, we list domains for which the owners made the domains available for purchase through us.

Purchase a premium domain by adding it to your shopping cart and proceeding through checkout. There are two fees, a transfer fee and a registration fee. We purchase the domain for you, transfer it to your account, and add one year to the existing registration period. We charge subsequent renewals at the normal renewal price. You can access the domain after we complete the transfer process."
--
As far as the $399 .com being better than the 9.99 .net, that's really up to your own judgment. Domainers tend to inflate the sales prices of their domains, and since we don't know what domain it is, it's likely that the domain's 399.00 price tag is based off of the owner's personal opinion of it.

Financially, the .net is easily the better choice between the two, but if you're looking to use the domain to build your business/brand around, you'd eventually want to get the .com version of it as well. Are you willing to pay or negotiate 399.00 for the domain? Do you think you may be able to find an alternative that'll fit just as well, if not better?

If it's just a theoretical question, given just those 2 choices, the .net will usually be the better choice, unless the domain is obviously extremely valuable and you have the money to buy it.

Status
Not open for further replies.