erifdekciw

May 3, 2008
how does this work exactly?

From trafficvance i think i remember reading that its something like this

1. 30-45% of traffic for first spot
2. 25-35% 2nd
3 15-20% 3rd

or something around there..

Does anyone know the process on how the 2nd and 3rd place spots get the traffic? Is it like rotating ads and the 1st spot gets the most showing time?

If thats true then why do the 2nd and 3rd spots convert so badly? I had a campaign running on 2nd and 3rd spots today normally im always 1st but someone outbid me when i was out and conversions were absolutely horrid. No changes to my landing page, no offer change, nothing new. I saw it drop from 1.50-2.00 epc to 0.20 epc...

Which leads me to believe that the 2nd and 3rd place spots aren't getting the same traffic that comes to the page. Are they getting 1st place spots sloppy seconds?

Are they getting 1st place spots sloppy seconds?

Yup. Ad networks wanna make most monies, so they're gonna fufill first place's inventories, then second place's and so on.

But you gotta take your competitor's frequency cap and budget into account as well. Some places take a while to update current bid positions *cough cough* directcpv *cough cough* so you may be getting some "first place" traffic throughout the day, assuming you're second position.