PPC newb question

Sharksfan

May 28, 2009
WI
Most of my weekend on WF was running searches and reading old material - I was very well reminding of how much great information is on here.

I've recently gotten a few PPC campaigns up on Adcenter, FB, and Yahoo Search - mostly I'm starting relatively small.

One of my FB ads - which I think is well targetted by keyword - is pulling nice stats for it's first day - 219,000 impressions and nearing 100 clicks. It should be over 100 by the time I get up in the morning.

This is direct linking to the offer. This is a somewhat private offer and the owner is PPC on Google for very similar keywords/demographics (tool abilities differ obviously so no guarantee there). He is getting 10-15% sales conversions.

Here's the problem - right now I have zero conversions. Obviously I have no control over the lander doing direct linking - but I would expect conversions to be somewhat similar - and I'd be happy with half of that.

I'm familiar enough with statistics to not get worked up over this yet. But here's the question. If this was you when would you mark this campaign as dead? Would you...

Wait until a full week passed by since different demos are have different online habits, or...

Wait until you got a statistically relevant # of clicks?

The offer reportedly does better on weekdays earlier in the week due to the demographic it targets, FYI. Hence my question above.

I'll leave that at that.

One thing to keep in mind is the visitor's state of mind (intent) between the two platforms. If they are clicking on an Adwords ad they are probably in the market or closer to a buying mindset than when they happen to click on your ad in FB.

What justo said. Just focus on getting your CTR up. How broad is your demo?

Facebook and google are way too different to be comparing stats to.

There are few hard and fast rules with FB sadly. If you can afford to I would keep it running for a full week regardless, while split testing to get your CTR up. Be sure to discourage curiousity clickers in your text ad as you only want those who will act to click and cost you money - this is important.

Try new ways to qualify your leads. One of my PPC ads basically said "Buy it today". This tells the person before they even click that they'll need to whip out their credit card if they're interested. I also start with as few keywords as I can stand, and low CPC. In the first few days of one of my tests I had a ROI of 500%. $7 paid for clicks, $35 profit. I know, chump change, but it was a successful test.

I know a lot of people do the opposite and make a lot more money than I do, but when testing I don't open the floodgates until I know it will convert.