PPC bidding questions

Skeletor

May 24, 2007
Colorado
I am in the process of creating my yahoo search marketing account and had a couple questions.

If I bid on a keyword that no one else is bidding on, what price will I have to bid? Can I just bid 1 cent on a whole bunch of keywords and get penny clicks? Is there a minimum at all?

Also, if there are only one or two other people bidding on it can I just bid that minimum and show up 3rd on the list?

Second question, trademarks...
Yahoo's page on this is vague and shitty. I know you cant have Pepsi bidding on Coke but can you bid on a trademarked keyword if you are not a direct competitor to that company?

For example: keyword = "Make money on Google"
Ad: "I Make Money Posting Links on Google... blah blah blah"

Would this violate TOS for bidding on the trademark Google? Including it in your ad? Both or neither?

I just don't want to get my account denied or sued over stupid shit like this that I don't 100% understand.

-Thanks for the help.

I believe Yahoo has a minimum bid of $0.10. I would suggest bidding about 10-15 cents so that if someone else starts bidding on it, you rank higher. Also, if no one is bidding on these keywords, is anybody searching for them? You can find out by using the Google Keyword Research Tool (just do a search for it).

If there are other people bidding on the keyword in front of you & you bid the minimum, you should appear 3rd on the list. However, do you want to rank a little higher?

About the trademark names--If it's your company, you should be OK. However, based on your suggested ad copy, I'd probably visit the help section and search/read up on that subject. If you still aren't clear, contact Google & ask them to clear it up for you.

I believe Yahoo has a minimum bid of $0.10. I would suggest bidding about 10-15 cents so that if someone else starts bidding on it, you rank higher. Also, if no one is bidding on these keywords, is anybody searching for them? You can find out by using the Google Keyword Research Tool (just do a search for it).

This is a very good point. If no one is bidding on the phrase there are only a couple reasons.

1. You have just won the lottery and found a money term before someone else. - or --

2. There isn't any money (none to be worth more than you can make working at McDonalds) to be made with these terms.

Understanding the data is a large part of marketing. Most of us have been there looking for that minimum bid huge search volume phrase that will make us tons of money. Pay per click is so widely used and saturated, it is very difficult to find that pot of gold.

You have to dig really deep and very niche defined.