Photoshop alternative

melbahtoast

Mar 2, 2012
I was looking for some suggestions of alternative programs for photoshop. I use css to design websites, so my need for a graphic/photo editing is minimal (cropping/resizing, light retouch, very simple logos - no psd comps or slicing).

Have any of you tried acorn or pixelmator?

Also, as far as coding (html,php,css), sublimetext seems to be a popular choice?

I'm on a mac.

Didn't you try using the forum search?

1234277022_ec4b302.gif

This thread was just recently: http://www.wickedfire.com/shooting-shit/171952-photoshop-alternatives.html

since you're on a mac, alot of ppl like pixelmator. pretty lightweight but has alot of the basic functionality of photoshop

I don't know anything about Pixelmator. i used Photoshop for my business. but now i would like to try this..

If you need Photoshop-level features, use Photoshop.

If you don't need advanced stuff, use something simpler and intuitive like Pixelmator (which I recommend to OP).

Gimp gives you an esoteric pleasure that you're fighting some sort of fight. Sort of like announcing on Twitter that you've deleted your Facebook account for the third time and using Linux on your Macbook.

But the reality is that Gimp's workflow is abysmal compared to Photoshop's and Facebook is a good way to keep in touch with real people and OSX is a good compromise between *nix and day-to-day convenience.

Another +1 for GIMP if it doesn't make sense for you to pay Adobe.

Also, Sublime Text 2 is great. Depending on how heavily you develop in PHP, I'd have to recommend JetBrain's PHPStorm though. That IDE is the tits.

I'd recommend Fireworks for basic editing, logos, text yada yada.. Anything more complex outsource and make better use of your time.

Back when I was starting a website had a small budget for edits, I use Procreate (especially that you use iMac) and Rebelle. .