Photographers - basic Photoshop touch up turotials/guides

b_sun

Apr 7, 2009
Virginia
I took a bunch of sports type photos in really bright sunlight with a decent DLSR that came out pretty nice. I'm looking for some tutorials or guides on how to touch up the photos to make them look even better. Having a hard time locating said beast, without having to learn Photoshop theory 101.

Suggestions or links appreciated.

go to image->adjustments->shadows/highlights and start playing around with that...90% of the time, that will significantly increase the quality of your photos without having to do too much more

I took a bunch of sports type photos in really bright sunlight with a decent DLSR that came out pretty nice. I'm looking for some tutorials or guides on how to touch up the photos to make them look even better. Having a hard time locating said beast, without having to learn Photoshop theory 101.

Suggestions or links appreciated.

That's a bit vague. It's difficult to know what to suggest without knowing what you want to fix/do.

1. calibrate your monitor
2. use levels to adjust your highlight and shadow points and view histogram
3. sharpen it
4. dont waste money on some fancy epson printer send your files to mpix or for pro level service, west coast imaging

This may give you some ideas
photo editing tuts
photoshop essentials

Most common shit you'll need for touching up photos fast:

CTRL+L = levels

CTRL+U = hue/saturation

CTRL+B = colors

^ Hold CTRL+SHIFT+ any of the above and you do a quick auto adjust.

Stamp tool (click the stamp tool, select a brush size, hold alt while clicking on a piece of the photo, now let go of alt and clickHoldDrag anywhere, you'll see you're literally stamping whatever you sampled. Good for removing and editing shit, fixing rips...).

Couple random additions to what everyone said. Note when you're messing with levels, hue / sat etc that you can choose specific channels to edit. So for example, if you want the blues to be more saturated, you can choose that channel specifically and amp up the saturation (instead of impacting every color range). Another thing, is I usually like to do this with adjustment layers so its easy to tweak / roll back certain changes etc. That's probably just a personal preference though.