Phone Stuff When Living Off-shore?

yubrew

Sep 27, 2008
When you're doing media buys or whatever and you're offshore, how do you make and receive phone calls without getting ass raped?

When I'm outside the US, AT&T charges like $.79/min and then $20/MB for txt messages and internet.

well I just use skype for my calls. and when I'm in a foreign country I mostly just get a prepaid card... one of the advantages of not buying phones on contracts

Get a Skype-In phone number, take your phone where you live, forward it to your Skype-In phone number. As I'm currently in Europe for 3 months, I bought a Skype-In number in Canada, forward my cell to my Skype-In, forward my Skype to my cellphone number I bought here when I'm away and remove the forward if I'm working. Some countries like Canada doesn't have any Skype-In service but multiple companies offer Business number for Skype for fees of like 10 bucks a month.

I use skype for unlimited US calls for $3 a month. If you get the subscription it's 50% off a skype in number as well. You can then forward this number to a cell phone you buy in the foreign country for when you don't have skype on if you want (can be expensive depending on the country).

This works for me, although now I'm curious about sipgate and gizmo5.

Skype is good, but only if a decent Internet connection is available. Otherwise get a local SIM that has free incoming calls. Most Asian carriers also have an outbound voip calling option to the US for about $.03/min.

Get a skype # and then forward it to your local # wherever you go to receive call. You are probably with an internet connection when working anyway so use skype to make call.