People Fail to Realize They Aren't As Smart As They Think

AcidReflux

Sep 3, 2011
:thefinger::thefinger:Over the past few weeks I have been being in search of stupidity. I came to the conclusion that almost everyone thinks they are a whole lot smarter than they actually are. I may not be the brightest crayon in the box and neither are you. I could vent for days about idiots, but I just want to hear others encounters with stooooooopidity!

:thefinger::thefinger:Over the past few weeks I have been being in search of stupidity. I came to the conclusion that almost everyone thinks they are a whole lot smarter than they actually are. I may not be the brightest crayon in the box and neither are you. I could vent for days about idiots, but I just want to hear others encounters with stooooooopidity!

The thread is over here http://www.wickedfire.com/stupid-motherfuckers-and-shit.html

KKmrv.jpg

Well, you see, my MENSA level intelligence allows me to read through your post, and deduct many aspects of your psychological makeup, providing me with many inferences as to your environmental surroundings, which allow me to deduct...

Ok, I'll admit, I really don't have a fucken clue as to what I'm talking about. I'll just go have another beer. :)

In a serious note... Along the same lines take a gander at this book:

Predictably Irrational, Revised and Expanded Edition: The Hidden Forces That Shape Our Decisions

Here is a amazon review that kind of nails it:

Dan Ariely is the guy you'd want at your dinner party. He's witty, smart and also very inclusive - sharing his passion for the way humans tick in a way that makes us feel great about the fact that, rational as we like to think we are, we make bad snap decisions, we cheat and we get ruled by our heart precisely when the facts are screaming "go the other way!" There's a lot in this writing which celebrates our human-ness. Why do we do this?
What Ariely has done here is shift a lot of the thinking developed by such pioneers as Kahneman & Tversky who worked in behavioural economics, and moved it into the everyday sphere. And he's done a great, insightful job. Where the behavioural economists are focused on financial decisions (why we buy high and sell low - and confound the assumptions of the classic economists who assume 'the rational man,) Ariely eschews the technical language and walks us through everyday examples of our often fuzzy and quite irrational decision-making.

The result is utterly engaging - and this easy 300 page read still has academic rigour and strong foundations. Ariely cites many experiments and examples, and shows that we often get things wrong because we frame things the wrong way, mis-judge probabilities, apply heuristic rules of thumb that don't always work, or we just plain let our emotions rule.

We love to think that we're educated, rational and moral. Yet who hasn't overestimated the upside on a sure-fire investment, bought some clothing that we knew was a mistake even as we bought it, or got our wires crossed between work-rules and social rules? This book is fascinating, entertaining and very, very illuminating.

Recommended for the general public, but I'd urge marketers, market researchers and business people to read this one carefully. Dan provides excellent dinner-party insights, but they apply to our real world and explain why so many poor decisions are made - whether by customers or by the 'rational' business people who make million-dollar decisions.

--

Do yourself a favor and get this book...

I like Scott Addams perspective on stupidity. Every single human being on the planet, you and me included, spend a small portion of every day being a complete and total idiot.

You're in search of stupidity? Fuck, you only have to check out digitalpoint and you'll find that in second.