Votes: 10 20.4%
  • I'll use whichever is available, makes no difference to me

Votes: 6 12.2%

• Total voters

Mike Panic

Jul 22, 2009
PA
www.mikepanic.com
On my site I installed a new shopping cart powered by ecwid.com to sell some of my stuff, it's way better then the hacked together one I did with Paypal. For payment processing it supports Paypal, Google Checkout, merchant services like authorize.net and 2checkout.com, along with phone orders and a few other options. Because I'm not a major business I can't afford or justify having a merchant services account, which leaves me with Paypal and Google Checkout.

Both are configured, to give the buyer an option to pay, but I'm considering removing the Google Checkout option. I'm looking for feedback, as a buyer, which of the two ways do you prefer to buy online? Personally, as a consumer I perfer Paypal, I've been verified with them since 1999 and feel most people on the Internet know who they are and how they work, but I don't want to eliminate Google Checkout if people will actually use it. Fees are the same, I just want the payment process to be as simple and clutter free as possible for the end user.

Reactions: Barefootsies

Why not just keep both and give your users more options..?

Fuck PayPal. They freeze people's money for no reason. Google that shit. They've frozen mine, but thankfully I didn't have too much money in there.

jonny- Both are installed now, but I don't want to confuse people. Also, for people like onlinemoniez who have had a bad experience with Paypal (and there are a lot) of people, I don't want to isolate anyone.

Haven't tried it myself, but I like the idea of using both. There are a lot of people who love PayPal and use nothing else... and there are a lot of people who hate PayPal and refuse to use it.

It's kind of like saying "should my website support IE or Firefox?" - well, honestly, both are too popular for anyone to say their users can just go eat a dick.

There are a lot of people who love PayPal and use nothing else... and there are a lot of people who hate PayPal and refuse to use it.
I used to love Paypal until they royally fucked me about a year ago. Was with them 5 years, never broke TOS or anything, and now they treat me like a terrorist or something.

I can still buy stuff via Paypal with my credit card, but I can't accept money from them.

In short, I hate the entire Ebay corporation. They've screwed a lot of us over, but I'm sure we're in the minority. I'd still be lovin' Paypal if it wasn't for the terrible experience.

Also OP, 2Checkout isn't really a merchant account. You can accept CC's and Paypal with them, it's just a $50 setup fee and they pay you weekly. Their transaction fees are a little steep though.

If you can, accept both. You can't go wrong that way. I pay for as much stuff as I can with PayPal because it means I don't have to type in my card info again. Between this, the added security concept and all the people who maintain an active balance for online shopping you can't go wrong accepting them.

If you have any fear of being screwed by them, get the debit card and pull out the cash daily.

rogerrabit - I'm in your boat regarding Paypal. Because I do a fair amount of freelance work (here and elsewhere) and am paid via Paypal, I often look at the balance in my account as free money or an excuse to go look for something on eBay or Etsy and often spend the money rather then transferring into my bank account.

I guess it won't hurt to leave both on. Thanks for all the feedback everyone.

rogerrabit - I'm in your boat regarding Paypal. Because I do a fair amount of freelance work (here and elsewhere) and am paid via Paypal, I often look at the balance in my account as free money or an excuse to go look for something on eBay or Etsy and often spend the money rather then transferring into my bank account.

I guess it won't hurt to leave both on. Thanks for all the feedback everyone.
Right, I take all my payments through paypal and have to transfer it out if I get any type of nice balance to prevent myself from spending it. Amusingly enough, the bank account (and debit card thereof) that it gets transfered to are both linked to that paypal account, but luckily if I see a $5 balance I don't push my luck ;)

I've used paypal payments pro exclusively for the past 2+ years, and just about 7/8 months ago, they stuck my account in a "high risk" category, which means they freeze a hefty percentage of every transaction I receive (I forget how much, like 30%) and release it 3 months later. It's fucking ridiculous, and I'm considering getting a merchant account now and using authorize.net for the cc form.

I have started using 2CO, so far I don't like them but it's an alternative after PayPal just fucked all the Indian PayPal accounts last week and reversed all the transactions with no notice.

Also cannot Google Checkout as it's not international yet !

I've used paypal payments pro exclusively for the past 2+ years, and just about 7/8 months ago, they stuck my account in a "high risk" category, which means they freeze a hefty percentage of every transaction I receive (I forget how much, like 30%) and release it 3 months later. It's fucking ridiculous, and I'm considering getting a merchant account now and using authorize.net for the cc form.
I can't speak for 'high risk' but since I've been poking around the world of merchant accounts recently, I'm pretty sure you'll be a lot happier using one than you're current situation.

As long as you have decent credit you should be able to get one no problem

Since I have shipped items to Europe, I can't eliminate Paypal, since Google Checkout obviously doesn't allow international buyers just yet, and I don't sell enough to justify a monthly 2checkout fee, so I'm going to utilize both options.