Paypal scam?

Status
Not open for further replies.

leafyd

Content Express
Jan 2, 2009
Im selling a PC on craigslist, and I got an email from someone saying that they would pay me by paypal and have me ship the PC to them.

Of course I didnt do it, but how does this scam work?

How would this person be able to steal from me?

Im selling a PC on craigslist, and I got an email from someone saying that they would pay me by paypal and have me ship the PC to them.

Of course I didnt do it, but how does this scam work?

How would this person be able to steal from me?

One possible way is for them to wait until you've shipped it, then report to PayPal that it was either a bogus charge, or that they never received the PC. Paypal then refunds their money.

One word of advice: If you are selling on criagslist make sure it's local! That's what craigslist is for!

Having said that MAKE SURE the payment you received is paypal funds and NOT a credit card payment through paypal. If they pay with a credit card they can ask for a chargeback overruling any paypal decision. Most credit card companies allow a few no questions asked chargebacks. It's very easy to abuse the system.

If they pay with their paypal balance you can fight it.

It's a scam, stick with local buyers and deal with cash.

I shipped a pc I sold on ebay and the user paid by paypal with a confirmed address in New York. He then reported that the computer was damaged because it had a scratch on it and it was not what he wanted. I said find send it back and I will refund you. Instead he calls his credit card company and makes a fraud claim. Basically my money was taken and I submitted my shipping info and that it was delivered and paypal or ebay did jack shit. I am out $1100 actually my paypal balance just went negative since I had already taken the money out. So I then just said sorry paypal if you don't believe me I guess you are out $1100 not me.

Status
Not open for further replies.