Overwriting Cookies?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ctp5182

Jul 29, 2007
This happens to one of my sites about 3-4 times a day. I'm promoting a affiliate product and can see that people order through my site because I have my code the the product's thank you page and so my tracking software shows the order and the keyword search, etc.. However, I don't get credit for the sale (Clickbank product). I can only assume it's because they've been cookied somewhere else prior to ordering through my site. My traffic is 100% organic on this particular site. I'm probably losing $30-$50/day because of this. Anyone else dealing with this particular problem?

It may not be overwriting, it may just be simple cookie rejection. Think about your target demographic; do they seem like the type that would block cookies or delete them frequently?

Could also be another one dropped the cookie first, but didn't sell them like you did. (but their ad got clicked on first)
:xomunch:

Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe in an instance of the end user visiting the same offer through 2 different publisher affiliate links, the last link (closest to time of action) would convert.

So if the user follows this chain:

Ipod offer1 -> Ipod offer2 -> Ipod offer3 (finally submits/converts)

The affiliate running the third ipod offer would receive credit for the conversion.

No not necessarily, lots of places have where that cookie is suppose to be good for 90 days or whatnot. So it might not let a new cookie be put in.

You could always cookie stuff and get those conversions because the place where you go through won't do it, if it got tagged first by someone else.

Yep cookie stuffing, either it's the adware guys or the owner of the product your promoting on clickbank is knocking out your cookie and replacing it with his so he pays you less comission. Clear all your cookies and go through your hoplink and copy the cookie in another folder, then go to the order page and see if the cookie data has changed to a different value. If so, the product owner is screwing you. Keep in mind that you may have to do this several times, most clickbank product owners have it set to a ratio of 10-20% to avoid detection.

I actually know the guy selling the scripts to the clickbank publishers, he's cool but if I see him at affiliate summit i'm gonna clock him. Clickbank really needs to get on this cookie stuffing issue, it'ss getting out of hand.

Cookie stuffing is really annoying, the problem is they can't do much about it, except banning shady affiliates or publishers.

Status
Not open for further replies.