Outlook and Office be Gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.

dvduval

Jan 12, 2007
I wanted to say that I had to totally redo my computer too (about 3 weeks ago I think). I am proud to say that I have almost completely stopped using Microsoft products except windows. I switched my outlook to gmail (thought this would be scary, but it wasn't, kept my same address too). I use google docs for word and excel and I actually like them more. And now if my computer ever blows up again, I don't have to worry about installing so much. I don't hate microsoft. I just don't want to have to hassle with paying $500+ to use outlook and office, and be worried about a huge process to get back up and running. Now all I really require is a browser for 90% of what I do.

I wanted to say that I had to totally redo my computer too (about 3 weeks ago I think). I am proud to say that I have almost completely stopped using Microsoft products except windows. I switched my outlook to gmail (thought this would be scary, but it wasn't, kept my same address too). I use google docs for word and excel and I actually like them more. And now if my computer ever blows up again, I don't have to worry about installing so much. I don't hate microsoft. I just don't want to have to hassle with paying $500+ to use outlook and office, and be worried about a huge process to get back up and running. Now all I really require is a browser for 90% of what I do.

I use Excel almost every day for my campaigns, not sure Google Docs is up to the challenge.

Bittorrent much?

And thunderbird for your email reader. Gmail or pop normal accounts.

It really has no drawbacks that I can see to Outlook

I use Excel almost every day for my campaigns, not sure Google Docs is up to the challenge.

Bittorrent much?
I don't think so either. Every time I've ever tried to open an excel doc with google spreadsheet it gives me an error.

I use excel and access to manage my data feeds. Makes my life so much easier.

And thunderbird for your email reader. Gmail or pop normal accounts.

It really has no drawbacks that I can see to Outlook

I swore off Thunderbird a few weeks ago - It kept losing my mail server settings for some reason and then the POS crashed on me and I lost everything. I really wish TBird wasn't the redheaded stepchild of Mozilla. If they put half as much effort into it's development as they did FF, it would be sweet.

I'm giving Zimbra desktop a try now.

I am trying to get into OpenOffice. I still use Word and Excell mainly, though.

It's definitely FF and Thunderbird. TBird's calandar hasn't given me any fits. I really like them both.

I don't like the idea of web-based apps. I'm sure I will always be too paranoid to trust them. There is no reason to trust them, save laziness. Success requires diligence, not laziness.

Yes, reinstalling after an emergency is a pain. Probably best to get the new install setup and then run your own Ghost on a dvd like dell and all those guys do, to reinstall your core stuff.

People have ridiculed me for years because I heavily partition my drives. My c: drive is relatively small, say 15 gig, and then nothing gets installed there except what demands it. Everything else goes somewhere else. I don't do it to save space, it's for speedier recovery.

Any maintenance takes far shorter and there are way fewer re-installs except for programs needing something in Windows/System.

Of course a total hard drive bearing failure or fire and nothing helps.:D

I use Open Office on this desktop just because I was too cheap to buy MS Office when I built this computer. But I have the latest MS Office on my laptop, and I absolutely love it. It's infinitely better than Open Office. Whenever I'm writing a paper or lab report, I find myself on my laptop, not my desktop with shitty open office.

I'm not sure what the row limits are on Open Office's spreadsheet program is but with Excel 2007 I can now use up to the 1 million 48 thousand (and some change) row limit whereas the 2003 version was 78,000

I'm not sure what the row limits are on Open Office's spreadsheet program is but with Excel 2007 I can now use up to the 1 million 48 thousand (and some change) row limit whereas the 2003 version was 78,000

I really like that feature too. On a quad core with 4 gigs RAM, you can fill up about 50% of that worksheet and it's damn near instantaneous.

I'm an old Excel guru though, so I'm really stuck on it.

Most folks don't know that Excel only shows about 10% of it's actual power in the GUI.

All those fucking buttons scare the shit out of most folks, techs included, and yet they make up only 10% of the total functionality!

"I really wish TBird wasn't the redheaded stepchild of Mozilla. If they put half as much effort into it's development as they did FF, it would be sweet."

Yeah Mozilla basically dumped Tbird, Sunbird, and so forth. When it occured, there was a lot of talk on Mozilla forums that it was because of a massive amount of cash from Google. And we know how much Google loves indexing your email and web docs.

As far as Open Office goes, it's basically an Office 2000 clone so it may not satisfy the Excell gurus anymore than Gimp will please the PhotoShop fans, but they both do everything I need them to do without constantly crashing or me fussing about Google's snooping or just deciding to cancel the service.

Office Home and Student Edition (word, excel, ppt, no outlook) only costs $99. I just use Thunderbird for email.

portableapps.com and a 16gb USB drive
I take all of my working docs and apps with me. Can work on whatever computer I sit down at and be totally independent of their system (unless they lock down the USB access).
It's all free and all legal... And doesn't have a stupid paper clip asking me if I really wanted to do that...

I really like that feature too. On a quad core with 4 gigs RAM, you can fill up about 50% of that worksheet and it's damn near instantaneous.

I'm an old Excel guru though, so I'm really stuck on it.

Most folks don't know that Excel only shows about 10% of it's actual power in the GUI.

All those fucking buttons scare the shit out of most folks, techs included, and yet they make up only 10% of the total functionality!
I'm with you. I'm certainly not a guru, but I've been slowly learning Excel and I haven't looked back.

Status
Not open for further replies.