One Niche Per Site?

wiredniko

Jedi in training
Jul 20, 2010
New York
I want to build an empire not just a micro-niche MFA.

What makes the most sense, have one giant site tackling multiple niches (think article farms without the suck) or multiple big sites each dedicated to a niche? (think sites like wired.com)

Thoughts like these often don't take into account your visitors. Google is quickly relying more on stats from your visitors. How much time will they spend at your site? Do any of them return? Is your bounce rate high?

If your website is all over the place with no focus and a limited amount of useful specific information then you can probably kiss good visitor results goodbye.

I highly recommend being focused. You should be able to wrap up what your website does in a clear easy to understand single sentence. If you can't, then it's doubtful your visitors will know either and probably won't be back.

I dunno why everyone has this big stigma for micro niche.
Do whats profitable. If a 10$ domain investment can return more then most 30$ seo investments why not do it.

Its perfectly easy to build out your winners into category mongers.

Multiple bigs. Better total site targeting. Apparently not only do pages rank but they take the topic of the entire site into the calculations. This info is shown in the google webmaster tools.

Multiple bigs. Better total site targeting. Apparently not only do pages rank but they take the topic of the entire site into the calculations. This info is shown in the google webmaster tools.

Hmm, you pretty much stated what I have been thinking.

Thoughts like these often don't take into account your visitors. Google is quickly relying more on stats from your visitors. How much time will they spend at your site? Do any of them return? Is your bounce rate high?

If your website is all over the place with no focus and a limited amount of useful specific information then you can probably kiss good visitor results goodbye.

I highly recommend being focused. You should be able to wrap up what your website does in a clear easy to understand single sentence. If you can't, then it's doubtful your visitors will know either and probably won't be back.

I know why you replied this way, with the Panda update in mind..and I did mention content farms. So even though what you typed up is all things I know, I appreciate it anyway.

If I did make a mega site I would have to isolate things in categories so to speak, otherwise it would be too chaotic.

complimentary niches could work well together, stuff like a fitness site that promotes weight loss supplements and skin creams. All vanity items, health items. All related

complimentary niches could work well together, stuff like a fitness site that promotes weight loss supplements and skin creams. All vanity items, health items. All related

Got it, so expand one vertical but don't have multiple ones.