Offline conversion tracking with Prosper202

Status
Not open for further replies.

somlor

Oct 29, 2007
Some of my webdev clients have offline businesses, their websites are designed to generate leads from a contact form. These leads are followed up the next day, or whatever, and over the phone.

As I've begun to manage more PPC campaigns for local businesses like this, I really needed to find a way to monitor ROI. Kind of difficult when all the sales are closed over the phone.

Well I recently started using Prosper202 to help. Here is how I configured it. Pretty simple really, but maybe someone will find this useful.

1. Add PPC accounts as usual
2. Add your own site as the affiliate network, your offer as the campaign name, and the thank you page for the contact form as the affiliate URL. For example, exoticfishingtours.com > full day deep sea package > http://exoticfishingtours.com/thanks.php?sid= > $625
3. Add your landing page as usual, http://exoticfishingtours.com/index.php
4. I usually skip text ads because I'm lazy
5. get your landing page code and stick it on your landing page with the contact form like this:

Code:
<?php
# index.php
# prosper 202 contact page
?>

<form action="contact.php" method="post" >
Name: <input name="name" type="text" /><br/>
Email: <input name="email" type="text" /><br/>
Phone: <input name="phone" type="text" /><br/>
<input name="" type="submit"  />
</form>

<?php if (empty($_COOKIE['tracking202outbound'])) { ?>
<script src="http://mytrackingsite.com/tracking202/static/landing.php?lpip=###" type="text/javascript"></script>
<?php } ?>
Notice I check for cookie before running Prosper202 Javascript. I find Prosper202's default setting of creating a new ID out of every refresh excessive, not to mention the fact that you will lose ID associated with the campaign that brought the visitor if they click around to other parts of your site before taking action.

Code:
<?php
# contact.php
# prosper 202 contact form

# get form values
$name = $_REQUEST['name'];
$email = $_REQUEST['email'];
$phone = $_REQUEST['phone'];

# get prosper tracking id
$subid = $_COOKIE['tracking202subid'];

# send email w/ contact info + subid
$emailSubject = FilterCChars("Contact form submission");
$emailBody = "Name : $name\n"
. "Email : $email\n"
. "Phone : $phone\n"
. "ID# : $subid";

$emailTo = "myemail@gmail.com";
$emailFrom = "myemail@gmail.com";
$emailHeader = "From: $emailFrom\n"
. "MIME-Version: 1.0\n"
. "Content-type: text/plain; charset=\"ISO-8859-1\"\n"
. "Content-transfer-encoding: 8bit\n";
mail($emailTo, $emailSubject, $emailBody, $emailHeader);

# redirect visitor to thank you page and register click
if (isset($_COOKIE['tracking202outbound'])) {
 $tracking202outbound = $_COOKIE['tracking202outbound'];
} else {
 $tracking202outbound = 'http://mytrackingsite.com/tracking202/redirect/lp.php?lpip=###';
}

header('Location: '.$tracking202outbound);

exit;
?>
That's it.

Now, all visitors are given a visitor id associated with their referral source.

If they fill out the contact form, it triggers that as a "click" to the offer and sends the visitor ID to your email address. (So you don't need to do anything with the subid sent to your thank you page.)

If you close the sale offine, just paste that ID into the Update section of Prosper202 to associate the sale with the source.

If you are doing a lot of volume and/or with prices that vary, you can do it in a spreadsheet with one column for the IDs and another for the total sale, then upload them into the new version of Prosper.

My next challenge is to figure out how to make this work for sites that have a phone number that visitors can call right on the spot, skipping the contact form altogether.

What I was thinking is trying to find an 800# service that has unlimited extensions that can all be setup to automatically forward to one number, and that would alert the recipient of which extension was dialed somehow. This way you could give every visitor to the site the 800# + extension # {their-visitor-id}. So when you get a call you can see which extension they dialed, you can write down this visitor ID and if you close the sale, type that into Prosper202. Any thoughts?

Sean

Reactions: kimboslice

Status
Not open for further replies.