[Noob] Landing Page Design Question (s)

ddall

Oct 21, 2011
T DOT
Few questions for the vets,

I'll preface by saying as of two months ago, I had never even heard of wordpress, let alone affiliate marketing. That's how noob my origins are. In any event, after hundreds of hours of research and eventually DOING I am steadily ranking a niche site for two keywords via a variety of SEO strategies, so far so good. In the mean time, as I drip articles, backlinks and let the domain age, I have turned my attention towards paid traffic, which has led me to a number of questions regarding landing pages.

1) Some of these landing pages are slick, I am getting familiar with WP now, but these have a lot of custom graphics. My question is do you guys learn how to do this yourself (Photoshop then code)? Or outsource? That is to say, how technically skilled are you folks?

2)If I am to outsource, where would I do this? Contact a designer to design the page graphically in Photoshop, then once I get the image pay someone to turn it into a webpage with clickable links? (I forget what this process is called)

Any nuggets of advice or wisdom you can throw to a hungry wold pup?

You're talking about PSD to (X)HTML conversion, and sometimes, you can get the person who designs it to do the code as well.

It's always gonna be in your best interests to learn how to do it yourself, but if you're just starting out, look around here for some designers who specifically design LPs, cause they usually have the experience to know what works.

If you're not good at writing copy, you may need to outsource that separately, though.

There are many great landing page "products" out there. This may be a good place to start simply because they have been tried and true through testing that others have done. However, the unfortunate reality is that you need to do your own testing "split testing" to see which landing pages convert best for you. You can hire a designer, but they are not going to be able to tell you what is going to convert, the problem is that the best "looking" landing pages are not always the big converters. You are going to need to do some testing or possibly outsource the testing itself to really find the winner in the group.

Hope that helps,

Nick

Personally, I don't do any programming or design work. Don't know anything of it.

I just outsource. You can hire some good designers right here in BST section, or go look for one on sites such as oDesk.

If you use Wordpress. This is how I do it - I just choose a Wordpress theme that I like (layout and such), and then I ask a designer to make it "niche specific" - make a header, edit the colors/background and such.

Then again, there are many noob-friendly customizable WP themes - Thesis Theme, Affiliate Theme. You can check for other free alternatives also. They're very easy to use and edit.

Carry on.

Thanks for the great advice thus far. For those that hire a designer, do you get him to create a number of versions to split test first, then go back to him with what works for further split testing? So graphic designer with multiple minor changes for split testing ---->X(HTML) Coder -----> Back to me, create page/test, send new changes back to designer and so forth?

Option 2 is use a wordpress theme, the benefit being I can do most of this myself, con being not as much graphical finesse.

Option 3 as Nick said, buy a premade landing page product (are these premade WP themes?)

Option 4 Learn photoshop and coding

People ask me all the time what is the #1 thing I attribute to my success in this business. Outsourcing is the answer. If you get great out outsourcing, you can be extremely successful online.

If you are on a Mac, get hype,.. easy to learn and u can create slick landing pages quite fast,HTML compliant..