No ppc traffic allowed but competitors are..

Status
Not open for further replies.

chini

Jun 10, 2008
I recently found a offer which i was interested in on google adwords, i noticed there's about 3-4 sites which have the offer on their webpage which they promote via ppc. I signed up to the company who has the offer, and on their conditions page they clearly state NO SEARCH MARKETING. I emailed them telling them that there are sites on google adwords promoting the offer via ppc, they sent me back a generic reply. I was wondering how do they get away with this (lousy affiliate manager), and how could i promote this offer without them finding my traffic is coming from pay per click traffic?

Create a blog, buy PPC traffic to your blog, and send traffic to that site from the blog, how are they going to find out?

I emailed them telling them that there are sites on google adwords promoting the offer via ppc, they sent me back a generic reply. I was wondering how do they get away with this (lousy affiliate manager), and how could i promote this offer without them finding my traffic is coming from pay per click traffic?

The generic reply means that as long as you don't step on the keywords that they are bidding on (usually the profitable ones) , you should be fine.

This is a riskier option because you run the high risk of not being able to play dumb BUT in a couple of instances I have contacted the agency / client and inquired about the reasoning behind the restriction, 3 /3 times i've been allowed to run traffic minus a few keywords etc.

An option if you have none left.

I recently found a offer which i was interested in on google adwords, i noticed there's about 3-4 sites which have the offer on their webpage which they promote via ppc. I signed up to the company who has the offer, and on their conditions page they clearly state NO SEARCH MARKETING. I emailed them telling them that there are sites on google adwords promoting the offer via ppc, they sent me back a generic reply. I was wondering how do they get away with this (lousy affiliate manager), and how could i promote this offer without them finding my traffic is coming from pay per click traffic?

Very nice of you to let them know about those who actually took a risk.

well i wont be direct linking to this offer, it will be a landing page with 2 other offers which allow ppc traffic. Also i'll be using tracking202, so the links would be cloaked.

Just be careful here. You don't want to generate volume to be told at a later date that it wasn't compliant and therefore you won't get paid.

I dont understand why it would be a problem if you direct ppc traffic to your landing page that tries to sell the offer. I mean I could see if you were direct linking but youre not.

When they say no search marketing, they're likely only wanting to restrict a few things. Tell them what you're doing, Find out what their issues are, and don't step on their feet in search. (and then take all those restricted terms & run them on the content network...) The more value you're adding to the process, the more likely they'll let you run on restricted stuff too, but don't expect that out of the gate.

well this is what i have concluded so far, use tracking202, cloak the links so the actual referer isn't showed, and advertise on search.

Technically your allowed search, cause your promoting your website (LP) and that has a link to the offer. So your not using search to promote their offer. You are using a text link on your website. And they can't tell you how to promote your website.

^ yeah exactly. Thats the reason i'll give the, if they ever question me about it. And considering its just a link of many other offer links on the page, its not really a direct promotion via ppc. The ppc traffic is for my other offers..cough....cough

^^^ second that... sometimes those folks you think are cheating adwords have established relationships w/ the networks -- what i never got is why they would rather have a competitor bid on their keywords and take up a spot rather than having one of their own "restricted" affiliates in that spot

Because of the generic reply, it sounds like they'll turn a blind eye to it. To be extra safe, if you decide to run the offer, exclude the city or state that the merchant is in from the targeting. That way they won't ever see your ads from their offic/home computers.

Status
Not open for further replies.