Newsflash 1995: The Internet is Hype and Won't Do Anything

SniperRyan

And you can too!
May 25, 2007
Denver, CO
Terrific article someone dug up from Newsweek circa 1995: Clifford Stoll: Why Web Won't Be Nirvana - Newsweek

Then there's cyberbusiness. We're promised instant catalog shopping—just point and click for great deals. We'll order airline tickets over the network, make restaurant reservations and negotiate sales contracts. Stores will become obselete. So how come my local mall does more business in an afternoon than the entire Internet handles in a month? Even if there were a trustworthy way to send money over the Internet—which there isn't—the network is missing a most essential ingredient of capitalism: salespeople.

For better or worse, almost everything the article mentions is done online now. Can't wait to see what we "won't" be doing in another 15 years.

I agree w/ him that MTV is crap... but the internet's not going anywhere.

Who's needs 1995?

Prince said the internets is over just this week.
Prince: 'The Internet's Completely Over' | News & Opinion | PCMag.com.

Sorry 'completely' over.

Finished, move along, nothing to see here!

Prince is obviously a gifted musician, but it cracks me up when celebrities get to the point where they believe they can "declare" ideas or movements over with.

Sounds great, unplug your computer. Take your superficial understanding of what "internet" means and continue to believe that it has no effect on your life.

Now make me some pancakes, Prince.

"Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good.
They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."

He's obviously extremely intelligent.

i do sort of understand his point about him not wanting his music distributed over itunes.

but then again, the guy gives away albums for free at his shows.