New Google Places redesign rolls out

babylonian

Jun 24, 2006
Good or bad change, what do you think?

It seems like they are concentrating more and more on local search. When I saw it first, I thought "mother fuckers", but after checking some other results, it seems like a good change.

It seems that organic search will get more exposure this way, but they totally stabbed adwords advertisers on local searches. They are working against their biggest revenue machine. Maybe it's just a shift towards something better (local marketing??)

Have a look at the new layout here >
chicago museums - Google Search

I think it's going to up the ante on competition for LBL optimization. Right now, it's pretty damn easy in a lot of niches & markets. With the organic listings being pushed so far down the page beneath the locals, people who have been staying away from local are going to have to get in the game. Just my opinion, but will be interesting to see how this plays out.

It also appears that results are mixed up and lots more value is being given to the google place results.

If you look at results in the new layout for "chicago museums" and compare it to the old (present) one, you will see that some of the organic listings were pushed up, due to their power in google places listings and other organic results depreciated for their lack of places listing.

Interesting.

Knowing how slow the ranking appears for the google places, this can turn out to be pretty fucked up situation for SEO organic people.

Call up the real # one, two, and three ranking and quickly show them they aren't in that position anymore.

Tell them you can get them there again, but normal SEO strategy can't get them there.

BANK

It also appears that results are mixed up and lots more value is being given to the google place results.

If you look at results in the new layout for "chicago museums" and compare it to the old (present) one, you will see that some of the organic listings were pushed up, due to their power in google places listings and other organic results depreciated for their lack of places listing.

Interesting.

Knowing how slow the ranking appears for the google places, this can turn out to be pretty fucked up situation for SEO organic people.
Tell me about it, Google be fucking everyone up

Marissa Mayer moved into the Local Group. This is probably her doing to some extent.

It looks kinda messed up. The page will look totally different if someone throws in a cityname? Odd. Whatever I usually sell people Places listings as well.

Agreed on the Adwords. Map floats and covers the ads as you scroll down the page. Seems like it has to further hurt PPC campaigns.

If I'm reading this new test of Google Places correctly you get the fuller description of organic listings without having the map grouping push you down the page. Wonder how the methods of staying at the top would change? Standard SEO techniques coupled with reviews and citations? Or damn with SEO. If you are high with Places you will be high with this new format?

My biggest complaint with Places is how your organic is pushed down when the geo is not important. Example, if I want my oil changed it makes a difference if the Jiffy Lube is two blocks away or across town. But if I'm optimizing a website for an HVAC company the homeowner without heat doesn't care where the company is located just who can get to their house and fix their problem the quickest at a fair price. The full text of organic gives me extra space to make the pitch. Gives the customer the info to choose who is worth a click. On these types of searches to me Places is just in the way.

ANYBODY running PPC care to share how instant search has changed your roi?

My biggest complaint with Places is how your organic is pushed down when the geo is not important. Example, if I want my oil changed it makes a difference if the Jiffy Lube is two blocks away or across town. But if I'm optimizing a website for an HVAC company the homeowner without heat doesn't care where the company is located just who can get to their house and fix their problem the quickest at a fair price.

That's a big problem. They added a radius for businesses in that situation (e.g. service areas). I've had really bad results when trying to flip listings over to that model though. Albeit very limited tests.

http://www.google.com/support/places/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=177103