New AdWords keywords very expensive

Status
Not open for further replies.

Numbat

Fair to Middlin'
Jun 26, 2006
So, I've heard this mentioned before, but I've read conflicting info about it. Hopefully, somebody knows the answer.

Sometimes when you set up a new ad campaign, all of the keywords cost like $10/click. Why is that? Does it go away? If so, how much do you have to spend before that happens?

Thanks!

Are talking about ads for search or for content? The search ads will be more. Google is deciding how much to charge you now based on CTR and your landing page quality. Try putting some more content on your landing page and see if that helps.

There is also the possibility that you are targetting highly competitive keywords and you need to target more long tail words.

Jdog said:
Are talking about ads for search or for content? The search ads will be more. Google is deciding how much to charge you now based on CTR and your landing page quality. Try putting some more content on your landing page and see if that helps.
I'm talking about search. I know it's not based on CTR (at least in this instance), because there is no CTR history whatsoever - I'm talking about a totally new campaign. It could be landing page quality, but I don't believe so... some crappy landing pages have gone through no prob, and some good ones have gotten hit with this. It seems to be more of a combination of the cost & competitiveness of a keyword. At least, in my little bit of experience.

Jdog said:
There is also the possibility that you are targetting highly competitive keywords and you need to target more long tail words.
This does seem to happen to very competitive keywords, but not only competitive keywords. Entire niches get hit, it seems like. For example, I just added a list of over 1,700 phrases to a new campaign. Many of them 6, or even more, words long. All of them, except one, were $10.00 per click.

I don't mind paying the exhorbitant cost for a while, because in the long run I think I can make money. I just need to get an idea for whether or not the cost is going to come down once Google has proof that I can get a decent CTR.

That is definately due to their quality score. Not really clear what the rhyme or reason is, as I have also seen some crappy landing pages not be impacted by the quality score at all. Something on the page, however, has triggered their system and they have jacked up your prices.

Maybe they watch the landing page quality closer in competitive niches. I agree that it has to be the quality score somehow, because a 6 word phrase should not be that competitive.

So then the consensus is that they won't get cheaper? I could have sworn I read Shoemoney (or somebody else respected in the field) saying that the cost will come down. But I could be remembering it wrong, or they perhaps were talking about something else.

I don't really know if they will come down. Mostly you here about them going up just like any other bad press. But I do know if you dial in your ad and tweak your landing page they can come down. I have no idea how long this would take though.

Numbat said:
So, I've heard this mentioned before, but I've read conflicting info about it. Hopefully, somebody knows the answer.

Sometimes when you set up a new ad campaign, all of the keywords cost like $10/click. Why is that? Does it go away? If so, how much do you have to spend before that happens?

Thanks!
They will go down, if your quality score moves up. With a new campaign I suggest added all the keywords, leave the ones that are too expensive there.

Assuming your ads are effective, your quality score will raise over time. AdWords will automatically lower certain keywords that are priced too high. The alternative (which is also commonly done) is to bid high for about a week to establish your quality score, then adjust accordingly.

avantrosa said:
They will go down, if your quality score moves up. With a new campaign I suggest added all the keywords, leave the ones that are too expensive there.

Assuming your ads are effective, your quality score will raise over time. AdWords will automatically lower certain keywords that are priced too high. The alternative (which is also commonly done) is to bid high for about a week to establish your quality score, then adjust accordingly.

Guilty till proven innocent. That is awesome. Dicks.

joe said:
WTF.

Is that the new way to say "thanks"?

If so, I don't like it one bit. It's certainly queer.:xmas-smiley-010:

I was calling google dicks for charging $10 per click until you prove your quality. I am far from queer. Redneck yes, queer no.

Status
Not open for further replies.