Need help and advice - counter strategy.

ck256

May 11, 2007
So I'm doing a random google on my own name and a public domain photo of me provided by my local constable is on page 1 of the google page.

I kinda flipped out about it, but the event happened 5 years ago and I've since addressed the problem that led to the event.

So I visit the site, fill out the form to take down photo, get the reply email back, etc, etc. While I'm doing this, in the back of my mind I'm thinking it's probably best to do nothing and give anyone a lead. Click through a couple more SERP's and there's another site (copy cat site) that comes up on page 2 or 3.

So this is all public domain and there's not much I can do directly except:
1) Stay out of trouble
2) Try to outrank the sites with other content.

I go back and check 3 hours later - now another site has be on the 3rd entry, 1st page.

So here's probably what happened.

1) I registered as a live lead, or someone that care about having that information online by de-registering from the first site.
2) The lead has been passed to another site with higher PR or authority so the result pops closer to the top.

What will probably happen if I go to the next site, is that the photo comes off of there, then pushed up to the "Pay" site, where I can get extorted for a couple hundred dollars.

It's a great no ethics money making scheme, and in a way, I admire the idea. I'm just kinda pissed off because frankly, I have enough to worry about with my career, family, home, etc than online reputation management. I have a six figure job that I started shortly after this event with a bunch of ultra conservative people and can easily see how my job could be affected by this, or when I apply for another job, past employers, etc.

I also am aware and support the coverage of information under First Amendment and Freedom of Information , but semi-sensitive information should be a little harder to get than just googling for it with firstname/lastname. If someone wants to find out about my past, by all means, head to the local authority website and do a search there.

So that's the story.

My strategy so far has been to figure out a way to put more relevant content on higher authority sites. Reviews of recent purchases, etc.

Any suggestions? Complain to Google? (haha)

and no, the arrest wasn't for being a gay webmaster. minor offense involving 4 wheels, a late night, and a poker party with drinks.

Hire a reputation management expert, there are more than plenty here.

Also, you are making a mistake in assuming mugshots.com, I am guessing, and the other sites are not owed by the same company.

Several people on this board are involved in several of these companies. Cry to them is definitely not going to help you. You already stated you did a recent inquiry/payment, so they'll just look into their database and see who you are. Four wheeler, drunk, night. Not difficult.

Hire a Rep Management expert and call it a day. How have you been on WF this long and not know the answer to this question already?

Carry on.

Carry on.

This, if you don't know how to do it, just hire someone and get it done. Pro tip don't use google for this shit to find a company. I have gotten 2 clients the last 6 months that used companies they find in the SERPS and paid several $xxxx without absolutely nothing happend and money was washed away. Just pony up the $ to CCarter and kick up your feet on the desk and relax...

-M

Also, you are making a mistake in assuming mugshots.com, I am guessing, and the other sites are not owed by the same company.

Several people on this board are involved in several of these companies. Cry to them is definitely not going to help you. You already stated you did a recent inquiry/payment, so they'll just look into their database and see who you are. Four wheeler, drunk, night. Not difficult.

Hire a Rep Management expert and call it a day. How have you been on WF this long and not know the answer to this question already?

Carry on.

It's logical that they are the same company, different webfarms, different PR's .. etc. given how quickly the information changed from ranked on one site to another.

I came here with this item for information. Not crying to the board, I don't expect favors from anyone here. Moreso validation of my interpretation of the method.

Your reply was helpful to my intent.

Thank you.

Hire a Russian botnet to ddos the sites into submission. Tell them they can have their sites back when your shit comes down.

LOLssssss :D at this ^^^

Perhaps get anonymous on it they'd be happy to help hope you've got it sorted by now.

Definitely more than likely owned by the same company infact I recall back in 2010 when a hosting company did something rather shifty if you checked for a domain name with them and came back say an hour or so later it would have miraculously been registered meaning you had to pay double to get it.