Need a self-serve advertising platform for my forum. Suggestions?

Banned
Jul 3, 2011
I have a popular vbulletin forum and want to offer self-serve advertising for marketers to stick their CPM banners/CPC adverts on the site. Be great if it could do contextual as well.

Any suggestions for a vbulletin mod or advertising script that can do this?

Is OpenX capable for this?

May depend on your volume as to whether or not you're gonna need an enterprise level ad server or whether or not OpenX will suit your purposes. How many impressions served a month, how much demand will there be, and do you want an auction style bidding system or are you going to simply do fixed rate fixed impressions? Unless you've really got serious volume and serious demand OpenX is probably going to be your best bet.

Rep given. Nearly 1mm impressions a month. Marketers emailing me daily. Fixed rate sounds most profitable. Sounds like OpenX will do till traffic takes another huge leap. Thanks.

I've been using OpenX and whilsts it does the job, it is not efficient for me. I have to setup the campaigns for the advertisers.

I'd like a script that allows the advertiser to make payment/banner upload/select ad space and area etc onsite. Just like you would pay/banner upload/site choose at, say, Adbrite and other self-serve ad networks.

Any ideas?

If you're serving that many impressions why not have a solution custom created for you? If you don't want to pay for it, stick to OpenX. Plenty of Fish and Facebook ain't gonna hand over their advertising platform code.

If you're serving that many impressions why not have a solution custom created for you? If you don't want to pay for it, stick to OpenX.

A million impressions is nothing for a large general topic forum, mate. I'm not exactly cashing it in. None-the-less, you may be right. I'll setup some freelance posts.

I'll stick keep looking for a out-the-box solution.

^ Cunt. Got me all excited thinking that someone had answered my question. Dropping cookies or drive-by exploit? I'm scared.

OpenX has many disadvantages.

I have used it at the past. I know.

You cannot display contextual ads, google type ads and has low control on the client. Also there is no automated way to receive payments through paypal. You have to setup an eshop to do that.

There are some alternatives but I have not researched that yet.

You can search for hosted ad serving platform. You will fing either apps that can by and setup for yourself, or you can find services that you lease every month for montly fee. Its up to you.

Long term openx is not a viable solution because lack of features and value to the advertiser.

That's my 2 cents.

You can search for hosted ad serving platform. You will fing either apps that can by and setup for yourself, or you can find services that you lease every month for montly fee. Its up to you.

I'm finding hosted monthly fee solutions like:

Self Service Advertising and Direct Sales Tool For Publishers | isocket
http://www.adwitserver.com/
Trafficspaces Self-Service Ad Manager - Do-It-Yourself Advertising Sales, Trafficking, and Campaign Reports

I'd prefer a self hosted solution like:

Ad serving software for publishers, advertisers, agencies & networks

...without the $2,999 price tag!

How about setting up your campaign in another DSP like Bluagile? They can also do what OpenX offers, you should check it out