Need a portable laptop

actionman

Bubble Butt
May 14, 2012
Maybe
www.affplaybook.com
Going to need a nice affordable (less than $400) portable laptop(~3lbs) for travel. Need it to work on code and ssh to work on servers where ever I am. I wanted a Macbook Air, but way too expensive.

I am hesitant on netbooks because the screens are very small and many of them only have 1GB of RAM...

Suggestions!

Going to need a nice affordable (less than $400) portable laptop(~3lbs) for travel. Need it to work on code and ssh to work on servers where ever I am. I wanted a Macbook Air, but way too expensive.

I am hesitant on netbooks because the screens are very small and many of them only have 1GB of RAM...

Suggestions!

Acer comes cheap.. ! but $400 is way too less.. Get a Chinese one for now.

In all honesty, I wouldn't skimp on a laptop if you plan on using it for coding or server administration while traveling. $400 will come with issues, whether it be not enough ram (especially for a VM), horrible keyboard, horribly quiet speakers, poor wifi reception, some obscure hardware with shit drivers. Invest in yourself and get something you'll enjoy using, rather than fight with; the last thing you need is to be in a hotel where you need to be 10ft away from an AP to get any wifi reception.

Netbooks will not cut it either.

Whew...thank God. For a second there I thought you were going to say you were looking for a non-portable laptop.

I think you should consider the Macbook Air. There's some good deals around mid-11 MBAs and it's really good shit. Your productivity will increase, no doubt.

ASUS A53E-AS52-WT 15.6-Inch Laptop (White) [ame=http://www.amazon.com/ASUS-A53E-AS52-WT-15-6-Inch-Laptop-White/dp/B007MW16R0/ref=wl_it_dp_o_piT1_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=1YCZOENCRMQNW&coliid=I3QEDE82F3IHRQ]ASUS A53E-AS52-WT 15.6-Inch Laptop (White)[/ame]

Nice for the price. Prefer ASUS for laptops, ROG is good if you want a desktop replacement.

You can get a used netbook for ~$100 on craigslist and then a tablet for $300 and be within budget. Can easily do all your server admin from either one. Toss a bluetooth keyboard and hdmi cable in the bag for using on hotel tv screens when you need a bit more screen realestate.

At least at that price range this won't, or might not turn into a Mac vs PC bitch fest.

Bestbuy has a dell 15n i3 for 400. Just bought my daughter one. The keyboard has a somewhat cheap feel to it, but it seems decent. Don't buy a used Macbook at that price, the battery is most likely going to be shot, then your out another 100-150.

You have to check dell and lenovo websites.They have mini portable laptops for such price.They are also good in configuration i checked it few days before.