Name.com... am I missing something?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bgmarket

Nov 26, 2007
I registered several e-commerce and branding related domains a few months ago with Name.com, $5.99 with free privacy. The thing that's bugging me is that I don't see anyone else talking about name.com, the forum search feature doesn't bring up anything interesting, and I'm wondering if there is some clause that I'm not noticing.

From my newbie perspective, Name.com seems to be a better deal than namecheap and moniker, but receives much less lip-service. What information am I missing that makes those registrars a better deal?

I realize from your responses that most people will look at my previous post and think either

A. Shill

or

B. Moron

I started this thread because I am genuinely suspicious of a company that seems to be offering domains below cost (based on reseller pricing I've seen). My assumption is that the domain registration is a loss leader, and they hope to upsell you on hosting, but I don't see them even offering additional services.

Fine, it was stupid to ask what makes buying from namecheap and moniker a better deal, I guess it has to do with affiliate commissions.

My underlying question was, does Name.com engage in shady practices, like making it difficult/impossible to switch your domain to another provider when their prices go up? Considering some of the blatant BS going on, like the Network Solutions scam, I think it's a reasonable to be cautious and ask this question. Like I said, I'm a newbie, and I thought some of the veterans might have experience with the registrar.

I have wondered the same thing, they offer $5.99 .com/net/org with free privacy, free forwarding, free advanced dns.

From what I can tell renew is only $7.99/yr

It's a legit question, no need to flame the guy.

I dunno, personally. Bump for anyone else with experience with them.

Status
Not open for further replies.