My Media Buying Strategy - Looking for critiques

startuprob

Jan 1, 2012
I'm using SiteScout to buy the banner impressions and ClickBank for my products. I'm specifically looking for ClickBank products that already have fairly attractive LPs and banners - so I can sidestep that phase for right now.

After choosing a product, this is the process:

1) Use WhatRunsWhere.com to see where the product is currently running successfully - if it runs for 100+ days on a single site - it's fairly safe to say that it's doing well.

2) Use Alexa.com's sitestream tab to see where upstream current visitors are coming from.

3) Take all of those sites to Google's AdPlanner and determine what the primary target demographics are, in terms of gender, age, income, education, and category of site. So, for example, I may determine that one target segment would be: Females, interested in beauty, fitness, & health, between 35-54 with some college education that make $50-75k per year.

4) Then I fire up SiteScout, upload the banners that were provided by the affiliate publisher, and start looking through the sites with available impressions to bid on for ones that match up with at least one of the target demographic groups that I determined in Step 3. I do this until I have 10-20 sites. (This usually takes a while because I manually punch a bunch of sites into adplanner to see if they match up.)

5) I finish setting up my SiteScout campaign by day parting my ads to only run between 0800-Midnight (I've had bad experience, as well as hearing pretty poor things, about ads that run between Midnight-0800). I bid $0.10 per CPM. (This is low, but I still get a very large number of impressions from it.)

6) Then, I start the campaign and let it run for a while.

7) When analyzing the performance of a campaign, the first thing I look at are the ClickBank statistics for the number of order form impressions. (This tells me how many people clicked through the LP to actually see the order form - not the number of people who actually converted and bought the product.) I give a new product 200 clicks, spread across at least 5 sites and try to spread it out as well as I can across a given day, and if I don't have at least 2 order form impressions - I stop the campaign and find a new product. (My justification is that if the LP is really that poor at converting, it doesn't seem to be worth the time to truly go through the granular work of finding the perfect customers - is that logical enough?)

8) If the order form impressions are doing okay, I start to refine the audience by site. If a site has more than 12.5k impressions and less than 0.1% CTR, I won't run banners for this product on that site again. (My advisor at SiteScout - Steve, a terribly nice guy - gave me that recommendation.)

9) If a site has over a 0.1% CTR, I look at the hourly breakdown for that site to see if any time periods have at least 12.5k impressions and less than 0.1% CTR. Again, if they do, I'll day part out those time periods.

That's about as far as I've gotten on this strategy. My hypothesis is that I'll eventually find a good product/site/time/banner match and then I can go directly to the site and purchase space from them directly.

I'm looking for some feedback on how I can possibly expedite my evaluations or refine my strategy? Should I be focusing on creative more than sites and time periods? Is there something that I am completely overlooking?

Any advice/suggestions/comments are greatly appreciated.

You're using clickbank right? I was gonna do cpa. I've had TERRIBLE results with buying media with cb...that being said I'm pretty noob at this stuff :p.

If ur getting clicks, but nobody's converting, it might be that you're setting some awkward expectations with ur creatives? Try being more blunt. "Click here if you wanna buy XXX...otherwise fuck off". I try to avoid dicking around with soft-selling if it's a cps.

All of the creative has been native (provided by the affiliate) so I'm hoping it's already quasi-optimized for pre-validating people before they click.That being said, I'm planning on testing some new creative for some campaigns next week.

Hrm, I guess your best bet at this point would be to just split-test the hell out of it then. That or maybe split up your campaign into a mail-chimp campaign? ie:
1) cust sees ur landing page and gives you an email address
2) upon providing an email address they are forwarded to landing page.
3) a week later, mailchimp mails out a recapture msg that's like 'Did you remember to sign up? If not, you might want to give it a second look, because XXX is getting better every week!'

-subscribed
Keep me posted, I'm curious to see what kind of results you get out of SiteScout.

+rep, i'm stealing this
co-sign.

I like the idea of the direct media buying and squashing the middle man, that to me just sounds smart, but never tested myself.

Good luck keep us posted.

Hrm, I guess your best bet at this point would be to just split-test the hell out of it then. That or maybe split up your campaign into a mail-chimp campaign? ie:
1) cust sees ur landing page and gives you an email address
2) upon providing an email address they are forwarded to landing page.
3) a week later, mailchimp mails out a recapture msg that's like 'Did you remember to sign up? If not, you might want to give it a second look, because XXX is getting better every week!'

-subscribed
Keep me posted, I'm curious to see what kind of results you get out of SiteScout.

I'm not sure if I can collect emails from an affiliate's LP - but I do see the value in collecting the emails to send them automated messages in the future. When I start building my own LPs I'll do this for sure.

Does anyone know if I can collect emails without building my own in the meantime?

I'll split test anything - but I'm curious to see how much the click-through to order form rate goes down if I add another LP in there to collect email addresses. It's worth a try though.

As for the evaluation strategy, do any of you media buying experts have any comments? My main concern is the order of importance to give to the factors that could influence a conversion: Time, Site, & Creative. I'm currently prioritizing them as:

1) Site
2) Time (both time of day and day of week)
3) Creative

So, my hypothesis is that a person who is lest likely to convert who clicks on my banner from the best site, is more likely than one of the most likely to purchase from a site that is horribly aligned with my target demographic. Is that justifiable or is my prioritization inaccurate? Or is prioritization dependent upon the affiliate offer?

Thanks again for all of the help.

I'll split test anything - but I'm curious to see how much the click-through to order form rate goes down if I add another LP in there to collect email addresses. It's worth a try though.

I actually think this would make your order form impressions go up, because you can like the author of the post suggested, rehit them with a follow up email. Studies suggest that people who commit to taking some sort of action, based of identifying they have committed into something, tend to follow up more on said prior commitment. So I think it's great advice, you just have to see what data proves to be worth more of your time and money

Good thread, any chance you're using CB subid's to track the dynamic sites/creatives from your sitescout campaign? I can't get this to work recently...

my link looks like that: xxx.clickbank.net/?tid={CAMPAIGNID}-{SITEID}-{ADID}

Now if I look into the CB analytics there isn't any subid passed so not sure what I am missing.

Good thread, any chance you're using CB subid's to track the dynamic sites/creatives from your sitescout campaign? I can't get this to work recently...

my link looks like that: xxx.clickbank.net/?tid={CAMPAIGNID}-{SITEID}-{ADID}

Now if I look into the CB analytics there isn't any subid passed so not sure what I am missing.

i also think so :D