Multiple VPS's vs. Dedicated Server

MikevanderHeijd

corporate hustler
Oct 11, 2008
Australia
So WF answer me this..

For running "white hat" sites, and a prviate blog network (all on different c-class IPs of course) is it better to have multiple VPS's around the place, or one dedicated server with multiple c-classes.

What are the pro's and con's of the set ups? Does it matter that all IPs are pointed to one server rather than different servers?

No one can determine whether multiple IP addresses are actually pointed at the same server.

Theres no easy answer to your question. With a dedicated server, you only have to update one box. However, you're talking about bringing all your sites down to update. When you're talking about traffic, a spike of traffic to one of your sites on a dedicated server will bring the others down, whereas if you had multiple VPS's, you could simply add memory or other mitigation techniques without messing your other sites up.

As Websicosys said, if you're already fragmenting IP addresses, you're already taking care of the main difference between a fragmented vs shared-box setup.

That means your decision comes down to whether you prefer to have one box or multiple VPS.

Really, I'd just go for the cheapest solution. Linode.com is my favorite VPS provider, they're very cheap, and even they start off at $15/node which can add up quick for a bunch of websites since each website is only going to use a fraction of that.

On the other hand, getting one dedicated box generally means less resource waste. It's also nice to just have one login for one backend.

I recommend the single box. The only reason I'd get multiple VPS is if your websites have assorted environments (Python vs Rails vs PHP, for example), but you probably just have a bunch of PHP/MySQL apps.

Why not one vps with multiple ips? Are you really pushing that much traffic? If you are, I bet your doing it wrong as one single server should be able to handle thousands of hits a second on a properly optimized setup.

Thanks for the answers guys..

@jellyfish to answer your question, I had a large VPS in Australia (for my australian website clients), however, hosting it in the US isnt going to have much of an effect on rankings, so was thinking of bringing them all to the U.S. under 1 server