Multiple Sites or Subdomains?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Avalanche

Jun 27, 2006
Here's the situation. I have a site within a market that has some link popularity, and dominates for a very small niche. I spotted some other niches which may be good within that general market, but am not sure whether I should tack them on that domain as subdomains, or create an entirely different domain.

Keyword rich domains still seem to dominate even in google (yes, I know because of the anchor text). It also may be easier to get links to a site w/ more specific info. I also doubt that my users will jump from one topic to the other (find having both information on one site of much value). They are only loosely related.

However...

Riding on the link popularity of the existing site may boost rankings (and earnings) quicker, and may eventually establish my site over time within the market as some kind of industry portal.

What do you all think?

I do not think your sub domains will get the link love you are thinking, best to go with a new domain. stop being a cheap bastard and spend some money already!

I've done it both ways. The only way I would recommend using the subdomain is if you absolutely need to be indexed ASAP for some reason or another.

If you are looking for SEO benefits, then a subdomain is the way to go.

There are several benefits:
You do get some link pop from the main domain.
You don't have to start with a new domain name (which some suggest is detrimental to se rankings).
Subdomains still dominate for many terms in google.
You get indexed and rank much more quickly.

As long as the topics are related, I would go with the subdomain.

Status
Not open for further replies.