Moving to Dedicated Server - Need Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

montecarlo

Sep 26, 2006
hey wickedfire guys i need your help. theres cliffs notes at the bottom but i currently manage 4 seperate shared hosting acounts and i am looking to move to dedicated hosting. main reason being, i received horrendous service when trying to get my site back online after they blocked it for downloading a backup of my sites files. i also have the money and want to consolodate all my sites onto the same dedicated hosting plan, but with different ip addresses. im looking at softayer right now for this.

anyway i have been doing some research and am stumped on whether or not i need managed hosting because i cannot find what all this entails, or what knowledge is needed to manage a dedicated server. i have tried googling for the answer about 100 times and no luck. can someone please explain to me what knowledge is needed if i were to purchase a dedicated host as softlayer or a similar host? i am an intelligent person here, but someone help a brother out.

cliffs:
what all do i have to know how to do to manage a dedicated server with softlayer, and do you just recommend managed hosting anyway?

This is an excellent question.

I have a friend who has a (not managed) dedicated server at the planet. They installed cpanel and whm and he can handle it from there. He can handle most of his needs. So if he needs a website set up, he creates a user, sets up mysql databases, sets up ftp access, et cetera.

However, once in a while something happens and he needs more experienced eyes. He worries that his server was hacked, or he doesn't understand an error, or he needs a special dns thing set up. Then he comes to me and asks for my help with his server.

Cliffs Notes:
You might need a hand getting it running. Get whomever helps you to write down the steps so you can do it in the future. Find an admin you know and trust that you can ask for "extra eyes" on a problem. IMHO if you're intelligent, you'll figure it out.

This is an excellent question.

I have a friend who has a (not managed) dedicated server at the planet. They installed cpanel and whm and he can handle it from there. He can handle most of his needs. So if he needs a website set up, he creates a user, sets up mysql databases, sets up ftp access, et cetera.

However, once in a while something happens and he needs more experienced eyes. He worries that his server was hacked, or he doesn't understand an error, or he needs a special dns thing set up. Then he comes to me and asks for my help with his server.

Cliffs Notes:
You might need a hand getting it running. Get whomever helps you to write down the steps so you can do it in the future. Find an admin you know and trust that you can ask for "extra eyes" on a problem. IMHO if you're intelligent, you'll figure it out.

wow thanks for the info! would you say that if i am good with cpanel on a shared host like hostgator, would i be alright as long as they installed cpanel for me?

I'm thinking about a vps/dedi also, but I hear cPanel slow servers down big time. So if I'm understanding, WHM is the server administration software and cPanel the usual user panel.

Is there another option that makes server admin relatively easy but doesn't slow things down as much? If I use cPanel, has any used v11.24 (it's supposed to be faster and less resource hungry)?

okay so im going with softlayer it looks like. which operating system should i choose? if i choose windows it wont let me add cpanel. im a little confused. what is best to do? also do i need the antivirus software, as it is only available for certain O.S.'s. am i in over my head here?

thank you. looks like cpanel/whm only currently works with redhat. would this be a good option and which redhat os is best??

edit: i am wrong

Status
Not open for further replies.