Movie Review: The Place Behind The Pines

AngryFiver

Nov 14, 2014
Just watched this last night and thought it was one of the most unique films I've seen in years. It's novelistic in nature, with basically 3 chapters that are held together by circumstances. It's a film about legacy, the sins of our fathers, and how one person's decision can affect the life of another.

What I liked about it was that the film works on different levels. Whether it's an action scene or a quiet moment, the directing is very well done and the director, Derek Cianfrance, blends the different tones together quite well.

Good acting too by both Ryan Gosling, Bradley Cooper and the rest of the cast. I highly recommend you check this movie out if you like original, thought-provoking storytelling. I'm giving it a 7.7/10.

"Beyond" the Pines. Agreed, great movie - was not expecting the turn from chapter 2 to 3. Eva Mendes is never hard to look at. "Drive" is another good Gosling flick.

I liked it but couldn't get past the number of coincidences that would have to happen for their two kids to end up in the same school, especially considering the exact opposite ends of the social and economic spectrum that they came from.

Downloading and reuploading to dropbox now so that I can watch this on the severely crippled and falsely advertised chromcast that I stream movies from.