Monetizing political domain

jlknauff

Aug 25, 2008
Long story short, I have a political domain (person's name) that got some press from a lot of news sites and a slew of political blogs, so it's got some authoritative inbound links. No traffic at the moment since the elections are over, but I think there's still got to be a way to monetize the thing.

If there isn't anything I can do with it, I'll just toss some shit content up w/ a link back to a few other sites I run.

Any better ideas?

I would be careful - you could potentially face a cybersquatting or trademark related lawsuit. Naturally we would need more facts for a true analysis but that is my .02

No worries on cybersquatting. It doesn't apply to politicians, in fact, that's what created all the press coverage ;) They ran it by all sorts of lawyers, but found out they had no grounds to stand on so they slithered away.

It was really a funny story, maybe I'll share it later.

Did they win? Could set it up as a parody page, throw some ads up and work from there.

If they lost seems pretty useless.

Nope, they lost and will probably never run again. I designed the site for their opponent.

The only value I see in it currently is that it has several links from major news sites, so it has some authority (and a pr4, though that really doesn't mean much).

does the site have any PR? if it does, you can sell blogrolls, it's going to be hard to get traffic to it, unless a scandel breaks out.