Mobile office, Anybody have their office in a van?

gutterseo

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬&
Feb 27, 2009
I know a lot of you guys work from home, I also know a lot of you guys rent office space like me. I was just down the pub for lunch with a friend and he brought up the idea of building an office in a van. After thinking about it I can't seem to find fault with the idea.
111_Credenza_00.gif

Imagine driving off to work each day and deciding where you will be working that day, doing my work from the beach or in the mountains would be a nice change from an office in the middle of a city.

I looked it up and saw that there are prebuilt solutions to this problem, have a look here Mobile Office Van Conversions or Interactive Mobile Marketing Vehicle (Sprinter) or Land Jet Mobile Office Vans ~ Driving Your Business Forward ~ Land Jet Mobile Office Vans ~ 2010GAYMauck2, Berkley Automotive Designs, mercedes sprinter van conversions, Business vans, Land Jet Custom Mobile Office, Presidential Mobile Office, Mobile O.
interior_00.jpg

excuse the picture of Obama

They even have a 4x4 offroad version 4x4 Road Warrior Land Jet Office Vans ~ Disaster Relief, Satellite Comm Center, com, mobile command center, Corporate Contingency Planning, Land Jet Office Vans, Land Jets, Custom Mobile Office, Vans, Custom Mobile Sprinter Office Vans, Custom Conver
2006_4x4_Ext_01.JPG

I would prefer to build mine myself (although the offroad version does look good, I'm thinking fishing while I work at a secluded lake) probably starting from a volkswagon sprinter van. Anyone else ever consider building one of these or am I batshit crazy. Do you think its possible to take your current workstation and make it mobile?.

The question is why? If you want to travel the country great, but sleeping in the back of a van is not fun. Its hot as hell in the summer and cold in the winter. Do you want to run it all night long burning gas to run the ac or the heat. Why not just get an RV and at least have little more room.

The question is why? If you want to travel the country great, but sleeping in the back of a van is not fun. Its hot as hell in the summer and cold in the winter. Do you want to run it all night long burning gas to run the ac or the heat. Why not just get an RV and at least have little more room.

Thanks for the feedback. I am not talking about living in it!!! I am not a gypsy!!! I am talking about the regular 9-5 + commute. I suppose where it depends where you live but I can drive to the mountains or the beach with max 1-2hrs each way. You would still live/sleep/cook/eat in your house. I just find I am a lot more productive in an office.

Cool idea, but lack of real internet is deal breaker. (I do not consider satellite internet to be real internet.)

I know what you are saying here but there are ways around it. With a 3.5g connection in a good enough area the speed isn't so bad and any bandwidth intensive tasks can be run from a vps with ssh.

**edit to above I meant Volkswagen transporter not sprinter

Cool idea, but lack of real internet is deal breaker. (I do not consider satellite internet to be real internet.)

On 4G on T-Mobile, I can not tell the difference from Fios, unless I am downloading a big file, which I rarely do. Verizon's LTE is very good as well.

sorry, just seen what you wrote above... if you can get there within 2-3 hours then maybe a mobile office is OK, but I think if you drive somewhere cool and shit, youd be outside playing then in the van working though. sounds cool and all, but in real life I think unless your really disciplined youll fuck off more then work.

I mean if I go to the beach or mountains, im checking women, surfing/skiing, enjoying the weather, etc... instead of working.

say you drive to the mountains or the beach to do work, where the fuck you gonna sleep?
i say, your better off buying an RV so its a mobile home that also has area for a desk.
Greenwood, IN - New Class A - Diesel - 2009 Fleetwood Excursion For sale in Greenwood, IN - RVs.com

Yeah I mentioned I live 1hr drive from very beautiful scenic places(depending on taste).

**edit I waste so much time in my real office anyway I honestly don't think there would be much difference, at least it would stop me drinking!! as I couldn't drive home.

If your not going to be traveling and sleeping in it I really dont see the point. I would think if you had to sit down and work in it for like 8 hours you would go stir crazy and I would think you might get a little claustrophobic but who knows

If you don't want to live in it, why not get a high-ceiling sprinter and deck it out yourself?

RVs are hella expensive to maintain. Unlike a house its value usually depreciates very rapidly as well.

If you wanna do your work away from home, buy holiday homes, flip them every year and buy a new location.

An RV would be good to have.. Why buy or build an office van when you could just occasionally take a road trip with all the amenities. Could be an office, a bus, or a house.