pink floyd
Jun 12, 2011
TODAY'S THE DAY...
APRIL 21, 2015
I'M ONE MOBILE FRIENDLY MOTHERFUCKER.
mobile-phones.jpg

This was my favourite mobile phone I ever owned:

VFrBoZ2.jpg

Size of a credit card and ~3 cards thick - fitted in wallet perfectly.

Anyone notice any difference today? I am still holding all my positions in SERPs for mobile devices despite not being mobile friendly... seems to me like this will be a slowly implemented into the Google algo it won't be an overnight shuffle.

Anyone notice any difference today? I am still holding all my positions in SERPs for mobile devices despite not being mobile friendly... seems to me like this will be a slowly implemented into the Google algo it won't be an overnight shuffle.

I doubt you will see the effects immediately tbh.

It's a slow roll out, over the span of several weeks, but the first signs started early this morning at 9am:

Screen_Shot_2015_04_22_at_1_16_33_PM.png

In fact, yesterday at only 6% volatility globally, it was one of the quietest days in the SERPs. But now this nonsense is starting.

TBH it's the whole SSL non-sense all over again. The SEO community gets so little data from Google that when something does occur they take the news and run with it. Mobile site will get a bit more traffic. Non-mobile sites will see a reduced number of mobile visitors, but if people didn't care to get mobile friendly before this, scrambling at this point doesn't make a whole lot of sense. The mobile traffic was probably not converting anyways hence why they didn't care to get mobile friendly.

What's more interesting is how Google is dictating the agenda of the internet. They take shots at the NSA by having all these webmasters install SSL cause of fear they'll lose free traffic, now pushing people to get with the mobile game already - two good directions, but I'm waiting for the bad direction that's to come.

Currently it's been confirmed it will only impact the main organic, not local maps(map packs) or other additional search add-ons - for now... Sauce: Google: Only Google's Core Ten Blue Links Impacted By Mobile-Friendly Algorithm

I was asked to run a prospective lead's keyword rankings again today and I was surprised to see that all his first page rankings tanked. One of the keywords dropped from 4th to NA.

I'm not saying this was the cause of their update, but I can say his website isn't mobile friendly.

He doesn't do any SEO link building at all so he wasn't hit with any SEO penalities, and no new links have been discovered for a while. He was sitting pretty for several terms on the first page and this is a multi-million dollar company. He's now lost all of his rankings as of this morning.

Who knows.

I actually saw a lot a movement across many sites yesterday, all of which are 100% mobile friendly. By this morning, most of it was corrected. I'm not tracking on the mobile side yet, but I guess it's time to get on it.

scrambled like fuck to get the designer of my main money site to make it responsive before the 21st
buddy charged me $x,xxx too, milking the deadline situation

my shit is basically the same as before but with a "mobile friendly" sticker slapped on it on the mobile search

sad part is that i get like 10% mobile traffic with 0.2% conversion

scrambled like fuck to get the designer of my main money site to make it responsive before the 21st
buddy charged me $x,xxx too, milking the deadline situation

my shit is basically the same as before but with a "mobile friendly" sticker slapped on it on the mobile search

sad part is that i get like 10% mobile traffic with 0.2% conversion

Wat?

It's been implemented across a week or whatever, possibly longer.

GWT data for impressions is a few days behind.

If you've heard of this update or are a remotely competent SEO person you've had this covered months/years ago. There's no need to over analyse anything at this stage or worry. Dig into it in 2 weeks or so.

It's been implemented across a week or whatever, possibly longer.

GWT data for impressions is a few days behind.

If you've heard of this update or are a remotely competent SEO person you've had this covered months/years ago. There's no need to over analyse anything at this stage or worry. Dig into it in 2 weeks or so.

This man gets it.

I'm not sure how this is a thing. Every little spam wordpress site I've seen or whipped up in the past several years has been responsive.

Rather, Gorgle is creating this whole wave to plant some ideas into public opinion - and remain a newsmaker too.

Reactions: dzianis
He is letting us know he wasted money for nothing. Im surprised most people have to scramble. Web design has been responsive focused for the last 4 years or so?

I'm not sure how this is a thing. Every little spam wordpress site I've seen or whipped up in the past several years has been responsive.

I was like, "4 years? wtf?" but yeah, I guess it has been about that long now that I think about it. It was 2011 that Marcotte's and Wroblewski's books were published and it was 2012 that was the year the word "responsive" hit the mainstream, or at least became commonplace among web developers. For those in the know, who act on change, it was a no brainer. The writing has been on the wall for some time that mobile would soon overtake desktop browsing.

However, it's still quite shocking just how many people and companies have done nothing to address the issue. Some have, only by chance, because they've bought a mobile friendly template from the likes of Themeforest without having any knowledge about what it was they were actually buying. I've had a couple of clients like this. "Oh, you've made your website responsive I see, that's good", and they're all like, "what's that?" :eek7: