Minnesota Bans Free Online Education

turbolapp

Aug 10, 2007
Coursera offers free, online courses to people around the world, but if you live in Minnesota, company officials are urging you to log off or head for the border. The state’s Office of Higher Education has informed the popular provider of massive open online courses, or MOOC’s, that Coursera is unwelcome in the state because it never got permission to operate there.

Minnesota Gives Coursera the Boot, Citing a Decades-Old Law - Wired Campus - The Chronicle of Higher Education

WTF

hahahahaha that's hilarious!!!

Of course, don't let the government here in British Columbia know about this. They would do the same thing.

I honestly don't see how that will remain Constitutional. It was obviously enacted at a time when you either physically attended classes or took them by mail.

Minnesota can't say, "You can't read this material from this website and discuss it while living in our state." It's against your Civil Liberties. Besides, the law was for consumer protection. The shit's free. There's no consumer spending anything other than their time.

tumblr_mbukbf2onI1rhqvv2o1_500.jpg
imgres

It sounds like the law was meant to protect people from bad paid courses, but nobody thought about exempting free courses.

Hopefully more liberals in the state capital will get voted out this November. Democrats held a majority in the MN State Legislature for 38 years up until the 2010 election.

I voted for Ventura and liked him as Governor. :thumbsup:

It was great just to see the usual Giant Douche (R) and Turd Sandwich (D) both lose too.

Politicians should have to change their pushers in USA and in Europe, too bullshit laws in the last months make me think they are getting something strong and bad.

.......... USA = getting ready for a slaughter

Take Away Rights
Take Away Money
Take Away Education

Idiots in a Barrell

My problem here is not that there's an outdated law on the books...

My problem is that some administrator for the state of MN actually took the time to hunt down and find Coursera and write them a letter, telling them to cease and desist.

That is not a mistake. They went out of their way on tax-paid salary to discourage Free education... What is this, Islam? The Inquisition?

They need Ventura back in the worst possible way up there. :(

My problem here is not that there's an outdated law on the books...

My problem is that some administrator for the state of MN actually took the time to hunt down and find Coursera and write them a letter, telling them to cease and desist.

That is not a mistake. They went out of their way on tax-paid salary to discourage Free education... What is this, Islam? The Inquisition?

They need Ventura back in the worst possible way up there. :(

Probably because the govt makes money off of paid education. No money in the paid stuff -- and the uneducated still have to pay taxes. Free=lose/lose for the Land of 10,000 Lakes! The govt wants them bitches farmin' more corn to dilute the gas with bros!

It sounds like the director of the Minnesota Office of Higher Education is taking care of the problem...

Minnesota Coursera ban: State won't crack down on free online courses after all.

Larry Pogemiller said:
Obviously, our office encourages lifelong learning and wants Minnesotans to take advantage of educational materials available on the Internet, particularly if they’re free. No Minnesotan should hesitate to take advantage of free, online offerings from Coursera.

When the legislature convenes in January, my intent is to work with the Governor and Legislature to appropriately update the statute to meet modern-day circumstances. Until that time, I see no reason for our office to require registration of free, not-for-credit offerings.