Merchants with Phone number for orders

Status
Not open for further replies.

Julez

Jun 24, 2006
Do you trust merchants with Phone numbers for taking orders on the site to pay you a commision?

Nope because they generally can't track phone calls to have any idea who the affiliates is. It's different if the merchant will allocate you a unique phone number but apart from that, the less prominent the phone number the better.

what about big brand names that have to have phone numbers on the site like comet,argos,john lewis ect
that also give the option to order online

Many affiliates won't promote merchants with a phone number. Same if the Merchant has links on their site pointing away from their site. Some merchants even have affiliate links on their site which is a big no no!

I would weigh up all of the different pros and cons of a merchant but a phone number would go in the con column.

Hmm, that hadn't occurred to me, but I suppose promoting sites like JCPenney would be kind of pointless wouldn't it? I guess that is something to keep in mind when browsing for affiliate partners.

Some merchants do offer phone tracking and it's not always apparent unless you ask or read their detail page. When I used to do management we would parse the affiliate ID into a priority code that displayed next to the 800# to ensure affiliates would get credit for their efforts.

Thats the only fair way to do it. If affiliates send the traffic they should get paid no matter what.

5starAffiliates said:
Some merchants do offer phone tracking and it's not always apparent unless you ask or read their detail page. When I used to do management we would parse the affiliate ID into a priority code that displayed next to the 800# to ensure affiliates would get credit for their efforts.

Thats the only fair way to do it. If affiliates send the traffic they should get paid no matter what.

Ok, but really. How many people dial the priority code? I just dial in the 800 number and don't bother with the priority code. You get through just the same and it saves you some time dialing extra numbers.

Merchants with phone numbers just dont get the affiliate game. They see it as free advertising and wonder why affiliate complain about a little phone number. Generally there are other merchants in the same business who are prepared to play fair

5starAffiliates said:

That doesn't sound like a watertight method. Unless you have extremely low traffic...

Status
Not open for further replies.