Marketing my own product, how to gather a small group of affiliates?

Delta223

Aug 14, 2009
A e-commerce businessman much wiser than me, told me that the best avenue for growing my business (weight loss supplements) would be to optimize my page, gather affiliates, and study the methods they used to send traffic to my page.

Problem is I only know of one way to gather affiliates: CPA networks.

From my experiences it is very hard for an unestablished advertiser to get onto these networks, and once on, you compete with all the top offers for affiliates.

And then if you are successful you can get a flood of affiliates (which I am not equipped to handle, I want no more than 10-15 affiliates)

I know most folks here work the other side of the coin, but for those of you that push your own offers, do you have any strategies for finding affiliates without using the CPA networks?

Thanks

Just tell the CPA Network that you want to do a small trial run as a private offer, and have them open it up to 10-15 of their top guys only. They will most likely be fine with this. If you don't have a good trade reference they will most likely want a prepay from you to get things rolling.

study the methods they used to send traffic to my page.

Bull paddies. Why would you have time for this? If you have a good network of people sending you traffic, your worries should be about making sure you have enough product for fulfillment, and where to vacation. Leave the traffic to the rest of us who know what we're doing, you can't do both.

Well you can, but you'd be taking on too much. Like Spiccoli said, "Don't hassle it dude!"

Bull paddies. Why would you have time for this? If you have a good network of people sending you traffic, your worries should be about making sure you have enough product for fulfillment, and where to vacation. Leave the traffic to the rest of us who know what we're doing, you can't do both.

Well you can, but you'd be taking on too much. Like Spiccoli said, "Don't hassle it dude!"
^^ this.

You'll waste your time trying to figure out how they send you traffic, otherwise, they won't be good.

The marketing side of the business is (obviously) very important. I don't mind working with affiliates but I also am not going to completely outsource this part of my business either.

When did I say I would cut them out? I want to limit the amount of affiliates I work with so I DON'T have to cut them out (I don't want a bunch of affiliates cannibalizing sales from each other and myself, I want a relatively lean operation)

From my experience, it's a lot easier to use a network if you need 15 affiliates. You only have to deal with one contact at the network, you only cut one check to the people you're paying.

Dealing with 5+ affilaites when it comes to payday can be a real pain and requires a lot more paperwork (think about tax time).

Search your top 10 keywords in Google and contact site owners who come up.
If they're promoting an offer similar to yours and not willing to "risk" that income
make them an offer they can't refuse: they'll make more money promoting your product or you'll pay them revenue lost.

When did I say I would cut them out? I want to limit the amount of affiliates I work with so I DON'T have to cut them out (I don't want a bunch of affiliates cannibalizing sales from each other and myself, I want a relatively lean operation)

There's a problem starting right off the bat with 10-15 private big boys, if you dont have your LP optimized as best as possible, you'll be wading through thousands of clicks, wondering why conversions are low, only to find all the good pubs ran your offer and said "This sucks the big one"

Now you're out the best pubs, and stuck with an LP that isnt converting.

So, consider having a few smaller fish send smaller amounts of traffic so you can at least optimize a bit and get a CTR you can live with, then let her rip.

delta, traffic is the easy part, the backend stuff no one tells u about will take you a year or so to learn.. better to start off small then to get slammed w/ a bunch of traffic