Major local google update tonight

Gertex

Jan 21, 2011
So tonight Google decided to throw everyone a local curve ball.

Some local packs are gone. Some cities only have 3 packs. Some still have 7 packs (rolling out issue?).

Local packs now have a 'People talk about:' section underneath and it looks like reviews are indexed and contribute to rankings as well.

What have you noticed?

I'm seeing higher maps rankings for most of my clients. I haven't seen any of the "People talk about.." sections. I think it's too early to see what the final changes are. I'm still seeing some bouncing around in the 7 packs.

Not terribly informative, but one of the few pieces on it live so far: Google Updates Local Search Algorithm With Stronger Ties To Web Search Signals

When Google rolls these things out, they do just that, roll them out. Not so much a flip of the switch movement. Usually goes on for days before it settles. So, I wouldn't get your panties in a knot just yet.

One of my clients in the real estate niche, entire packs gone across all the cities he is in. Anyone seen entire map results disappear for big niche queries today?

On my 5 main local place pages this has launched me to #1 on each of my main terms. Before, I was between positions 2-5.

Poking through results now. So far had one client who dropped out of local serps get brought back in after a simple redesign with NAP added. Seeing another client with heavy local citation building doing better than before. Definitely a lot of changes/weird things going on.

SEO buddy of mine wiped the fuck out - rankings wise.

In a competitive niche, his sell to clients is:

"see my ranking for 'Dedicated Proxies New York' - this can be exclusively yours for Los Angeles - you'll be #1." I helped him on some stuff and he's had a nice run but I knew the main client he's built his local pitch around - and it's nowhere today.

What I never asked but wondered was - what happens when he loses ranking on these prime keywords - and that one in particular? He's buffeted by a PBN and lots of somewhat unimaginative on-page work for client sites. Page after page of local keyword in title tags.

He also is hairy, so he might have a few ass cysts to worry about as well.

*** EDIT TO ADD *** Can't believe I wasted my 1000th post speculating on the woes of my faggot friend ... oh well. I'll post some cock n' balls for my 2000th. ***

In a competitive niche, his sell to clients is:

"see my ranking for 'Dedicated Proxies New York' - this can be exclusively yours for Los Angeles - you'll be #1." I helped him on some stuff and he's had a nice run but I knew the main client he's built his local pitch around - and it's nowhere today.

He probably got penalized because he doesn't offer reliable support for a competitive edge.

Everybody knows that you can now monitor these updates as they happen from your serpwoo dashboard.

'City SEO' local results are dead for me on a lot of SERPs, thanks Google.

Definitely some people getting punished on the 'City SEO' SERP here.

Saw some fucking goofy as hell Knowledge Graph results for local queries earlier. Broke lots of rules that used to tie together most KG results and was only showing up when you searched from a local IP - fun stuff!

3-Pack/7-pack does not seem to be limited or determined by location. 'Philadelphia HVAC' returns a 7-pack while 'Philadelphia Heating and Cooling' returns a 3-pack.

I think I have a sebaceous cyst behind my ear, fuck.

Everybody knows that you can now monitor these updates as they happen from your serpwoo dashboard.

Sure, if you had the keywords in place already. I haven't uploaded much of our client tracking to SW yet.

I checked in on some of our professional clients (real estate / medical/dental / attorneys / etc.) and seeing the same kind of stuff. A little early to see how it affects traffic but given that we focus on content marketing we're generally pulling our prospect traffic in via longer-tail keywords anyway.

Interested to see how local SERPs look when things settle down a bit.

I now have a site with a standard wordpress install and the pre-scripted content ranking #3 for a $30+ cpc term in local. This update seems legit.