Looking for a VPS solution

aim high

Jun 3, 2008
I've never bought a VPS service before and I'm pretty clueless. What are some good VPS solutions?

Looking for a Windows platform to run applications on all day.

For your first VPS i would recommend VPS.net for UK hosting or Slicehost.com in the US.. I used both when i was starting out and the support and uptime was great from both companies. Another option is Godrid.com if you want to try and learn a bit more about VPS hosting, they offer a $50 trial with which you can create several on-demand servers all with different OS to play with and you get charged by the hour.

I use linode. If you don't regularly use linux, you might have to build it a couple of times before you get it right though. I recommend them.

check out RootBSD - FreeBSD VPS Hosting - Welcome to RootBSD

The guy who runs it is a stand up fellow. I've worked with him personally in the past to come up with solutions specifically tailored to my needs...and he's familiar with the SEO/SEM field.

And they're cheap.

Wish they had a demo of RootCP, never heard of it and seems to be the only choice for a control panel, and also would wonder if a 256mb configuration could handle it well enough.

As people have recommed you a lot of good hostings ,but that does mean you will get the same result as them.So i'd like you firstly clearly understand what is your requirements of quality in the hosting you want.It will help you to choose a suitable hosting.

I'm also going to through up my vote for linode. Great prices and support.

If you dont feel super confortable on the command line. Its really easy to setup virtualmin/webmin (just use virtualmins installer) to setup linux users and groups and virtual hosts via virtualmins control panel.

I just switched from Slicehost to Linode a couple months back. I only had a couple of short outages (minutes) with Slicehost in the year that I was using their service. I haven't had any issues with Linode yet, and they offer VPS with more RAM, HD, and bandwidth for the same cost of a Slicehost VPS.

I need help with everything, I am a complete novice, never had a VPS and had no
contact with them.