Long Term Car Rental

maybenot

Apr 3, 2013
For those of you traveling / living abroad, how do you get long term car rentals?

The places I'm in I'd have to be resident to legally buy a car, so I can only rent. But then renting for over a month gets stupidly expensive. Do you have any tricks you use? I guess having a friend / friend of a friend with a car would be the obvious solution. I think I remember Fatbat saying something about renting a car in Spain for 400 euros a month. How did you do that Fatbat, if you don't mind sharing?

Pretty easy... Find dealership, talk to owner, (don't talk to GM, sales, etc), find the owner, maybe 1/10 there will be an owner there.. Even if it's a small car lot, or big dealership.

Offer a reasonable amount for a long term rental, and explain your situation, etc. Make sure you get full coverage, so the dealership isn't liable, etc. And it's merely a "rental".

Most will be happy to do it.. On a used car*, since it will work in their favor, ask for a car that's been in stock for awhile, that they have a hard time selling, etc.

Don't go to those rental places, etc. Unless you want to overpay like crazy.

It's weird, but it works... Lots of people rent from dealerships for months and months. Just not a lot of people know about it, since dealerships don't announce it.

Pretty easy... Find dealership, talk to owner, (don't talk to GM, sales, etc), find the owner, maybe 1/10 there will be an owner there.. Even if it's a small car lot, or big dealership.

Offer a reasonable amount for a long term rental, and explain your situation, etc. Make sure you get full coverage, so the dealership isn't liable, etc. And it's merely a "rental".

Most will be happy to do it.. On a used car*, since it will work in their favor, ask for a car that's been in stock for awhile, that they have a hard time selling, etc.

Don't go to those rental places, etc. Unless you want to overpay like crazy.

It's weird, but it works... Lots of people rent from dealerships for months and months. Just not a lot of people know about it, since dealerships don't announce it.

Very cool advice. And suddenly seems so obvious now you say it, like lots of good ideas.

I wonder how well it'll work outside US/Europe etc. Also, by full coverage, you mean I should do all the insurance myself so they don't have to worry about it, is that right?

If you aren't looking for the fancy, check the local classifieds for used cars, contact them and strike a deal. They will be more than happy to rent it out and earn some extra cash before they sell it. I got an 02 Honda Civic when i was in Thailand like this. If you're going for an old car, always go for a Honda. Those bitches last long and good.