Little Script for arbi-er...

Status
Not open for further replies.

cylai

Jul 11, 2006
hi folks:

Since many of you are doing arbi here, I thought I wanna share a little nice trick that can help to boost your CTR.

Do you know about "adsense background"? it is a graphic that blend with your adsense ad. you can see the example here:
Karen Cheng - Snippets of Life (this is not my blog!)

Don't worry as this technique does not violate the Google Adsense TOS.

it is very simple to do:

1. upload an image (image.jpg)

2. at your style sheet, insert this code:
-----
{
width: 200px;
height: 210px;
background: #fff url(image.jpg) top no-repeat;
}
aditem_image
{
padding: 28px 0px 0px 45px;
------
Here the background colour, image width/height/padding size are just suggestions. You have to change it according to your image colour and size.

2. at where you wanna put your ad:
-----
<div class="image">
<div class="aditem_image">
[insert your Google ADsense Code here]
</div>
</div>
-----

let me know what you think.

That squeeze page needs some work...

This trick is actually many years old and when I tested it like year ago I didn't notice a big boost. I'm talking about pure arbi here. It might boost up your CTR if you tried it in real content site where content overwhelms the ads.

Nice trick, I've seen it done a few times. Might try testing it later this week :]

@fenryr: it is ok if nobody wanna sign up to my squeeze page. As stated, this script is WF exclusive, no sign up required. However, I do have some images ready for my subscribers.

@waz67: Karen has emailed the Google Team and their reply that the Adsense Background comply to their TOS. When in doubt, it is always adviceable that you email Google, they are fast in respond.

@micfire: would like to hear your opinion on my squeeze page, thanks.

@micfire: would like to hear your opinion on my squeeze page, thanks.
Well, layout now looks too much like basic sales letter. When I saw your page, I instantly thought you were selling something. You might want to make only few bullet points where you tell quickly what your subscriber will get. You want to make your squeeze page say that "hey, I'm giving this for free and all you gotta do is to give me your e-mail address so I can send it to you". And all this needs to be "said" in few seconds without any scrolling. A random visitor will only see your page for 2-3 seconds, and then he/she decided if it's interesting enough.

So get rid off all the unimportant shit, center everything in a box and write headline that says that it's free.

I've been wondering...
Assuming Google does random or regular monitoring of people's adsense sites - how do they tell if and Adsense setup conflicts with their TOS?

I mean, let's say I had violated the TOS.... is it their bots/spiders/crawlsers that detects this stuff? Or are they actually randomly checked by humans?

I hate when people post stuff that's good enough for a bookmark. I probably book mark about 15 things a day. Soon enough i'll have more pages indexed than google.

I hate when people post stuff that's good enough for a bookmark. I probably book mark about 15 things a day. Soon enough i'll have more pages indexed than google.

I have that problem too, so I set up a different thread subscription folder in my control panel, just for stuff like this. I put all of the informational threads and threads with links in here and then I sort through them once in a while.

I had that problem too, so I built a solution for myself and then turned it into a public site. Don't want to sound like I'm pimping my own stuff in here, but I don't make any money off it (despite the presence of adsense) and I find it incredibly useful.

iFaves - lets you bookmark lots of pages very easily if you add the bookmarklet to your browser Links bar, tag 'em, share 'em, etc, and you can search and view by date, etc.

I had that problem too, so I built a solution for myself and then turned it into a public site. Don't want to sound like I'm pimping my own stuff in here, but I don't make any money off it (despite the presence of adsense) and I find it incredibly useful.

iFaves - lets you bookmark lots of pages very easily if you add the bookmarklet to your browser Links bar, tag 'em, share 'em, etc, and you can search and view by date, etc.

I decided to give it a try. When I attempted to sign up I got this...

Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

that really doesnt change the backgorund of the ads. It just puts "borders" around it...

or you could have just used del.icio.us

Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Aw fuck.... that's not good

Fixed. That'll teach me to test stuff more diligently... damn null strings....

or you could have just used del.icio.us

Actually I played around with del.icio.us quite a bit before building iFaves, trust me, it's a completely different experience. Delicious is fine for pushing stuff out to the world, that's what it was made for, but the private bookmarking was thrown in as an afterthought. For sheer keeping track of bookmarks and sharing privately with select friends, I think iFaves is much more useful.

Status
Not open for further replies.