linking on wikipedia

Status
Not open for further replies.

excfire

Apr 9, 2007
if i had a new site on baseball, is it a good idea to post an external link on the baseball wiki page?

You can try but it'll probably get taken down very quickly (unless your site has very, very good original content). Try digging deeper on Wikipedia - find niche subjects related to baseball but not frequently updated and post a link there. These have a better chance of sticking.

I thought wikipedia links are no follow now? Problem with wikipedia is a lot of editors are people who frequently look at the just updated page and check the articles there

Yup, so no pagerank or direct SERP benefits, but it will get a site indexed if it's new and possibly generate a tiny bit of traffic.

shet. they took it down quickly like you said.

so are wiki page no follow? that would be a waste since alot of their pages are ranked.

edit. you answered my question seconds before i posted ;) thanks

Wiki pages really have no seo value anymore, if you can find a spot where nobody (editors ) are looking it will stick for a while and you'll get a trickle of traffic. If it hangs around long enough it will get scraped and you'll also get a link in answers.com and some of the other wiki scraper sites.

like someone already mentioned, find a niche page and stick your link in the middle of the other "external links" sections. If you do have a quality site with really good content and want to add it to a main subject, it helps if you have no ads on it. At least this has been my experience, spamming wiki.

I've got a site that actually complements a wiki page very well. I put it on when wikipedia wasn't no follow and fought to keep there because it's a one of a kind site that is very important in the niche, most editors agreed.

With Wikipedia going no-follow, you don't get google juice, but you do get click throughs from people genuinely interested in the topic. I get a few clicks a day.

if only the external links are no follow, why not just sneak the links into the content?

I thought wikipedia links are no follow now? Problem with wikipedia is a lot of editors are people who frequently look at the just updated page and check the articles there

Yeah man, iv'e noticed a lot of stuff like "born.... died...." when the person is still alive lol

if only the external links are no follow, why not just sneak the links into the content?

Saw this the other day when reading about a video game on wiki.. the person wrote a very detailed article, but left out a detailed map of the game.. then gave a link to a site with the detailed map. I thought it was pretty interesting, and it certainly linked to the page.

Status
Not open for further replies.