Learning to build Landing Pages

Status
Not open for further replies.

rogerrabbit

Generic Black Guy
Jan 5, 2009
Hi,

I normally use Poll style landing pages on my ppc campaigns but I wanted to start learning how to build like gateway style landing pages for offers other then email submits. In addition to this I want to be able to use my design ability to sell landing page design services (more of a long term goal.)

I threw together a quick mockup of an LP yesterday and I'm really just looking for some feedback about what I did right / wrong and how to hone in on what to do.

I'm not going to embed the image but you can see it at:

http://i39.tinypic.com/293yn8n.jpg

Any advice will be massively appreciated!

Raj

It looks like a banner ad more than a landing page, there are no order here links. May be you have put them on some other page but unless you provide the link to the other page how will the customer know where to click on to order the Trislim product?

As a long-time Creative Director, I've learned it's often hard to comment on a "work in progress" unless you know where a person is headed and where they're coming from. That being said, I'll throw out a few things for your consideration...

1) It's too "choppy." Blocks of copy all over the place.

2) Color scheme is confused. Either go with pastels or brights -- not both. In my experience, the "gateway" landing pages are better with brighter colors. This goes to the "bright, shiny thing" mentality. You're trying to get people excited, so use stronger colors.

3) Needs much stronger call to action. The old "big arrow" always works.

4) Needs a strong, bold headline. The 4 "bullet points" are fine as sub-heads, but where's the main selling statement?

5) Someone touched on this. Make sure your main type is really punchy and even "contrasty". Light vs. dark is always best. You've got black against light green, which isn't terrible, but then above that you've got white vs. an even lighter green. Not good!

Overall, not a bad "sketch," but could be a A LOT stronger and easier to read/flow with. I hope that helps! Keep at it!

You need to draw the user's attention through your landing page, from wherever their eyes initially land to your call to action. Right now it doesn't flow very well, it's pretty random. Try controlling where the initial point of interest will be, then creating a path for users to follow to your CTA.

I can not thank you all enough for taking some time to give me a hand with this! I always wanted to learn how to design LP's but always thought I wouldn't be good at it. Now I know that I have a rough idea of what I'm doing and I just needed to be pointed in the right direction.

I'm going to be making a lot of changes based on your feedback and I'll post my next edition for your critique.

Use people on your lander... and have them look in the direction of the call to action.

Right now without a person it's missing that human touch.

Also, where is your "social proof"? Throw in some as seen on or other badges.

As a long-time Creative Director, I've learned it's often hard to comment on a "work in progress" unless you know where a person is headed and where they're coming from. That being said, I'll throw out a few things for your consideration...

1) It's too "choppy." Blocks of copy all over the place.

2) Color scheme is confused. Either go with pastels or brights -- not both. In my experience, the "gateway" landing pages are better with brighter colors. This goes to the "bright, shiny thing" mentality. You're trying to get people excited, so use stronger colors.

3) Needs much stronger call to action. The old "big arrow" always works.

4) Needs a strong, bold headline. The 4 "bullet points" are fine as sub-heads, but where's the main selling statement?

5) Someone touched on this. Make sure your main type is really punchy and even "contrasty". Light vs. dark is always best. You've got black against light green, which isn't terrible, but then above that you've got white vs. an even lighter green. Not good!

Overall, not a bad "sketch," but could be a A LOT stronger and easier to read/flow with. I hope that helps! Keep at it!

I keep hearing about how what you think will work, won't. Is the advice above based on being a creative director, or is this what's working for you now, in AM?

Make the call to action button look more like a clickable button. That white text on green at the bottom is way too hard to read.

A/B testing is really the key to figuring out what works. At work we have over 400 current landing pages and they've all been A/B tested multiple times. What works for some pages doesn't work for others.

Things to start testing - CTA button right below #4 since it's in the eye path. CTA button right below the bottle. CTA button where it is. Make the bottle graphic a link to the form too. Put in a headline that matches the visitors intent and lets them instantly know they're in the right spot. If your ad says something about the 30 day free trial, make the headline re-inforce that -something like, "Are you ready to lose up to 15 pounds with your free 30 day trial of TriSlim?".

Make the call to action button look more like a clickable button. That white text on green at the bottom is way too hard to read.

A/B testing is really the key to figuring out what works. At work we have over 400 current landing pages and they've all been A/B tested multiple times. What works for some pages doesn't work for others.

Things to start testing - CTA button right below #4 since it's in the eye path. CTA button right below the bottle. CTA button where it is. Make the bottle graphic a link to the form too. Put in a headline that matches the visitors intent and lets them instantly know they're in the right spot. If your ad says something about the 30 day free trial, make the headline re-inforce that -something like, "Are you ready to lose up to 15 pounds with your free 30 day trial of TriSlim?".
Killer advice - thanks a million.

don't list features, list the benefits. tell people what it will do for them.

they don't buy because it 'blocks fats', but they might buy because it will make them feel better, help them fit into their pants again, let them fit behind the wheel of their car again, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.