Launching an app ownership marketplace. Please help with some questions

financialjesus

learning shit
Oct 1, 2009
www.financialjesus.com
Hi guys!

I am launching a new marketplace for selling and buying mobile app ownership.

The idea is that if the owner of the Angry Birds app doesn't want it anymore they can sell it on my marketplace to the highest bidder. We will provide verified revenue and analytics data and offer an escrow service.

I have some questions moving forward and hopefully you can help me by answering a few of my questions in a small survey: App ownership marketplace

Also if you have any ideas and questions I am willing to discuss.

You'll attract mediocre shit. Anything worthwhile will be bought out by the larger companies with interest, behind closed doors. Don't wanna put you down but just something to think about.

You'll attract mediocre shit. Anything worthwhile will be bought out by the larger companies with interest, behind closed doors. Don't wanna put you down but just something to think about.

Flippa seems to do alright.

Word. Ignore what I said if you're passionate about making this happen.

I'd think of ways to get in on the startup hipster scene, especially sites promoting info for new and established programmers. Mostly people who know about entrepreneurship and making apps but never hit it big or they're just trying to build up their portfolio or get rid of currently existing apps. Even if you wind up with a marketplace full of mediocre shit, assuming deals are being made, there's still a lot to work with there because mediocrity is 99% of everything. You might get a few winners and potentially be taken seriously by someone like the owner of angry birds (as an end goal example) or a truly innovative app. Turn this market into your bitch. Good luck, yo

But speaking of Flippa, if it's worth doing they might step into your arena.

Aye. Better make sure you rush of the gate quickly, and plant yourself before mobile.flippa.com launches.

EDIT: Well, now that you've publicly posted it on WF, you better haul ass, because there's probably an extra dozen people looking to steal your idea now.

PS. Don't worry, I'm not one of them. I honestly think it's a good idea though, so all the best with it!

Apptopia already has this on lockdown. No way you're going to take any of their market share.

Aye. Better make sure you rush of the gate quickly, and plant yourself before mobile.flippa.com launches.

EDIT: Well, now that you've publicly posted it on WF, you better haul ass, because there's probably an extra dozen people looking to steal your idea now.

PS. Don't worry, I'm not one of them. I honestly think it's a good idea though, so all the best with it!

Good news is at least 11 of that dozen will be to lazy. The other one will be to busy. So OP has nothing to worry about

So OP has nothing to worry about

I beg to differ. This market is not that big, and apptopia already has it cornered. OP should have used google before dedicating any time to his new trillion dollar enterprise.

Apptopia already has this on lockdown. No way you're going to take any of their market share.

+1
I love how they automatically generate your listing from iTunes Connect's and AdMob's data. But I have yet to receive a bid on my app.

Well there are 3 big players in the app flipping scene: Flippa, Apptopia and ChupaMobile.
The question for me is if I can make something better than them and thus try to enter a market with already 3 big players.

Well there are 3 big players in the app flipping scene: Flippa, Apptopia and ChupaMobile.
The question for me is if I can make something better than them and thus try to enter a market with already 3 big players.

Well, you are Financial Jesus after all, and apparently you can turn water into wine and all that shit (or was that Moses?), so give 'er a go!

Just took a look at Apptopia. Uh...good luck going head to head with them.

It might make more sense to pick out a specific niche of apps and focus on trying to dominate in one area. I have no idea what your skill set or areas of interest are so I don't know what that might be, but you might find a quicker path to success that way.

From a sellers point of view:

Make sure those who bid the auctions have money. Make them post some up, escrow, verify bank statements, whatever, and compensate auction winners who have to deal with time wasters.

I have a few sites I can sell on flippa. But I had previously tried to sell 2 on flippa and in each case, the guy who won the bid didn't pay.

The sites were legit too. 100% real, everything exactly as advertised (I was even upfront about issues most sellers wouldn't mention) - Both were quality sites, not some auto blog or turnkey crap.

I spend quite a bit of time handling requests for proof, answering questions and checking potential bidders to see who they were and if they were legit. If I straight up sold that time I could likely make a little less, and still keep my sites (sites were for mid x,xxx USD)

One of the two fuckheads who didn't pay wasn't even banned by flippa because "I didn't give him enough time to pay" even though I disputed the transaction only after the loser started talking about how he didn't have the money to pay what he bid.

I mean, I could still make money selling sites on flippa, if I wanted to spend so much time to get so little ROI. But who wants that?

Also, make sure to vet the sellers and have a minimum standard.

I've wanted to buy shit on flippa as a client also (I actually bought one site), and the low quality of listings discouraged me from buying anymore.

I wanted to buy two types of sites:

1- Low cost, well aged pumpers - Basically, any decent site that has some unique content and has been in the Google index for 5-15 years without interruption (no drops) and has non-spammy links. I gave up. There are just too many bullshitters. The few that looked interested were too expensive

2- Low 5 digit income generating sites - I couldn't find anything legit. I was willing to pay xx multiple of income too, depending on how stable. But I just kept checking worthless crap after worthless crap.

I get the feeling that flippa is 99% WaFo users buying and selling shit to each other.

In example:
https://flippa.com/3409940-massive-free-traffic-makes-8-per-day-easily

The few ones that are worthwhile I end up feeling I can set the same thing up for half the cost of buying.

I think there is a need for a platform to buy and sell quality online properties that are worth $x,xxx to $xxx,xxx - Those multi-million dollar ones aren't going to be sold at auction any time soon IMO.

I think there is a need for a platform to buy and sell quality online properties that are worth $x,xxx to $xxx,xxx - Those multi-million dollar ones aren't going to be sold at auction any time soon IMO.

You might want to check out Website Broker - Internet Businesses for Sale by FE International

I had a good experience and most importantly an EASY/super-convenient experience with those guys a few years ago. I just gave them all my details and they put together a real nice "private" listing for their own network. They also used to list the sites on Flippa themselves as a second-step in the sales process I think (if no one in their private buyers network wants your site)?

Seems like they have really expanded since their days of launching back on BHW I think it was, and their network is likely pretty huge right now? Yeah they take a percentage of your sale. But I would think for most people with legit, active, quality websites in the price ranges you're describing it is probably worth the convenience just having those guys deal with everything. Babysitting Flippa sucks

Curious, has anyone here used FEI in the last year? Curious to hear some more recent experiences with them...

As someone who uses Apptopia to buy & sell a fair bit.

Chupa Re-skins or templates purchased from Unity etc.. that people change graphics on and mass re-sell for $100-$200 profit, make up probably 80-90% of their inventory.

It's also full of Devs who think their idea they developed is worth $100,000 with no proven history.

They do have gems though, but they tend to get picked up quick.

If you could somehow:

a) Get quality apps listed that are easy to find without sifting through so much junk
b) Provide a good transfer system like Apptopia
c) Have all the legal work down etc.. and run it professionally

I'd list my apps there/buy stuff.

But you won't get there with a small investment.

As someone who uses Apptopia to buy & sell a fair bit.

Chupa Re-skins or templates purchased from Unity etc.. that people change graphics on and mass re-sell for $100-$200 profit, make up probably 80-90% of their inventory.

It's also full of Devs who think their idea they developed is worth $100,000 with no proven history.

They do have gems though, but they tend to get picked up quick.

If you could somehow:

a) Get quality apps listed that are easy to find without sifting through so much junk
b) Provide a good transfer system like Apptopia
c) Have all the legal work down etc.. and run it professionally

I'd list my apps there/buy stuff.

But you won't get there with a small investment.

It sounds like Apptopia is pretty much exactly like Flippa, except for apps.