just finished this project - feedback wanted

Status
Not open for further replies.

mr.b

mr. Beat the System
Jun 24, 2006
DFW
I haven't posted in here in awhile, but I figured you guys would be decent test subjects for a new service I just wrapped up. The premise behind the thing is that the best deals on ebay are usually buy-it-nows where the seller sets the price below market and the item gets snatched up really quick. We setup a little app to do polling on the behalf of the user and notify them when matching deals come up. The idea is to set up your deals with tight price constraints so you only get notifications on the good stuff. I'm monetizing on the backend with through ebay affiliate program (auctionads actually) so the service itself is completely free. Let me know what you think... like it or not....

Get the Most out of eBay : BINalert

--B

MRB

Okay, so I just signed up. Right off the bat, I can say one MUST is that you add borders on to all the input fields. I don't know if they're really ghosted or something, but I can't see any borders on my LCD and it makes it really hard to figure out where to sign up.

Next, I tried a search for a Palm Treo 700w Verizon, and it showed me a $630 phone, but then right below it was a $150 700p transaction. So I'm thinking I can probably get the phone for $150-300. Then I went in to create my alert, clicked "finished" after adding a bunch of words I didn't want, and the screen updated, but it didn't save my alert.

Unfortunately, there's nothing that I'm really hurting for on eBay, so maybe I'm not your ideal user. Overall, the site is attractive and all (although I'd darken the green that you use in links, again it's really washed out). Just some functionality and design issues that you might want to resolve or test out a little bit.

Good luck, I'll try it again in a few days to see if I can come up with something that I actually want to use your service for. ;)

Great idea actually. What you need to improve is the color scheme on the first page. The steps need to be diff color than "get the most..." and Get Started needs to be larger and in color. You gotta remember that you can control where your visitor's eyes and attention focus based on how your design is. Right now the eyes go immediately to your logo and nothing stands out on the bottom part like it should.

@dave -- sucks that it bombed right out the gate.. believe it or not we've done quite a bit of testing. I guess not enough......

thanks to you both on your design comments, i'm no designer and working on a shoestring budget :) I'll adjust for usability as suggested until I can get a real designer to help out.

--B

@dave

I've been able to recreate your problem and will get it fixed shortly. it revolves around the fact that we require a minimum price -- it just didn't error out correctly. The reason for requiring a minimum is got help cut out the crap you don't want (in your case, the case and stylus). You can use price in addition to negative match keywords to hone in on the deals.

--B

Yeah, the problem for that particular item is filtering out those expressions like "case" and "stylus" ... The question is, let's say someone puts up a 700W and in the title does something stupid like "FREE CASE AND STYLUS!"

That would NOT show up on my alert, right? Sorry about breaking the $0 rule ;) I just assumed I didn't want to chop off someone trying to offload one for dirt cheap.

The question is, let's say someone puts up a 700W and in the title does something stupid like "FREE CASE AND STYLUS!" .

precisely why we're pushing to use the price to filter as well..... I have plans to do a nice blog along with the site and explain how to get the most out of it, etc.

the "testimonial" on the front page is a real deal I got -- apple tv new in shrinkwrap for $165.... i flipped it for $240 :)

this is even great for "make money with ebay" stuff -- the more things you buy the more $$ I make....

fixed the bug that Dave found. Fixed a few of the cosmetic details with a few more changes to come soon.

thanks again for the feedback.

Status
Not open for further replies.